Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this weekend I will be building the riser into our theater room.
My question is that I will be building a 12'x 5'x 16" high box and want to know if I should build it all out of 2x6 boards and 3/4" plywood all glued and screwed together with carpet over all of it? do I need to place insulation inside of the box and do I fill it completely?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response Prof, No 16" is not a typo I have the headroom to go that high. Do you think thats to high? what do you recommend?

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Tony..unless you have very high backs on your front seats, a 12" high riser should be ample..
There is a calculator for determining the minimum height for a riser..
I'll see if I can find it for you..

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you!

I'm just using a sofa and a love seat and matching recliner. The love seat and recliner are going on the riser. The sofa has two built in recliners and that will be on the floor in front of the riser.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmmmm, interesting, with my screen being 32" off the floor it is saying that my riser only needs to be 10.4" high. the first row listening position is 11.5ft from the screen.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Hmmmmm, interesting, with my screen being 32" off the floor it is saying that my riser only needs to be 10.4" high. the first row listening position is 11.5ft from the screen.
I think is right ...my TV is around 28" and viewing 9', riser is around 11" too :yes:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys. :T

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Tony...The calculator is only a guide and I would add a couple of inches to be on the safe side..
You can't add inches after you've made them..

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My wife and I are both tall, I'm 6'4" and she is 5'9" so when we sit in the front row our heads will be in the way so I think I may go 14" just to be safe. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts