Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about $175 budget to make a screen. I have the optima hd66 Pj
The room dimensions are 12' x 14'. The pj will be projecting 12' from the screen. There are large windows on the side walls with basic blinds.

I have been doing a lot of research on screens. For the projector, distance and lighting...how big should my 16:9 screen be?

what material or paint should I use?

I was thinking of getting and painting it with black widow...but I was wondering if it is better to use different material? Or blackout cloth painted with black widow? Any other options that would be better for $175 or less?

·
Registered
492 Posts
From what I've read about black window paint, it seems like that would be the way to go. As for as material blackout cloth is the most cost effective way to go, and isn't that hard to work with. I don't see why it wouldn't work u just need to make sure u put a even coat and avoid any drips. If you have access to a paint gun or airbrush gun that would probably be the best way to apply it to get the best overall and even coverage.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you have a non textured walls drywall, I would paint the wall directly with black widow and then do a flat black or felt/velvet molding surround.

I have textured walls and use stretched canvas (I got from dick blick) over a wood frame for a 126" screen. I am not terribly satisfied with my screen as I built it though. I am a happy black widow user though with 1+ years of view with a fair bit of ambient lighting using the PJ as my primary viewing device.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts