Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my first DIY project I have begun building a sub.

After listening to a bit of advice and reading some recommendations on here I have decided to go for a Exodus Audio Tempest-X driver with something like a Behringer EP4000 Amp to power it and a Behringer DCX2496 to split the signal.

On reading some info on the Tempest-X, it was suggested a 200L box would be a good match and heavy bracing was recommended. So I thought something like this maybe the way to go. Its approx. 71cm(H)x50cm(W)x61cm(D).

xSub.jpg

xSub1.jpg

Build material is 16mm MDF for all bracing and will probably use constrained layer dampening of two layers of 16mm MDF for the baffle.

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was going for overkill.

Might as well take that part of the design to the nth degree.

It's sure not to move an inch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a few pics of my progress.

Been drilling a few holes.

DSC01213.jpg

DSC01214.jpg

So that's the horizontal bracing pretty much done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Will post more pics as I progress.

Another question though, can anyone recommend some heavy duty speaker terminals and internal speaker cable to connect the terminals to the driver?

Thanks.

·
Registered
487 Posts
AWESOME is all I can say. Well done mate. I love your style.

In a word, overkill :)

·
Registered
704 Posts
Must be great having access to a CNC router...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's why its taking so long, no CNC work only a table saw, hand drill and hand-held router. Getting a bit tedious drilling and routing all the holes.

I am half way through completing the vertical bracing pieces and will post more pics soon.

Thanks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I prefer knock in binding posts like these. To make sure they don't leak, I tap them in halfway, and put a dab of silicone around them before tapping them in the rest of the way. I'm just not a huge fan of plastic terminal cups, they look and feel like they could cause sound leaks in a well damped and braced cabinet.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Must be great having access to a CNC router...
Sounds like someone is jealous! LOL

That's why its taking so long, no CNC work only a table saw, hand drill and hand-held router. Getting a bit tedious drilling and routing all the holes.

I am half way through completing the vertical bracing pieces and will post more pics soon.

Thanks.
That makes this all the more AWESOME!

I prefer knock in binding posts like these. To make sure they don't leak, I tap them in halfway, and put a dab of silicone around them before tapping them in the rest of the way. I'm just not a huge fan of plastic terminal cups, they look and feel like they could cause sound leaks in a well damped and braced cabinet.
I either do solid binding posts as you're doing, or I have the 12 gauge copper lines go right through the box and siliconed it. It depends on the application and how well I need to hide it. It's also been impressed upon me to use as few connectors as possible...though I know it's a bit overkill in a sub.

·
Registered
704 Posts

Thanks.
WOW. You have far more patience than I do!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
WOW. You have far more patience than I do!
Most of my boxes are prototype boxes. A hole saw and about 15 minutes and I'd have those brace holes all cut. :) Of course it would look like a big woodpecker had done it but they would be done.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

1 - 20 of 23 Posts