Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
interiormall.com
sells sheerweave materials by the yard (~$30 per yard for 63" width, $46 for 98" width)... they sell most styles by the yard. for white, you want chalk (P06), not sure about the grays. you also want the 5% openness for audio transparency apparently. not sure why people settled on the 4500 vs the 4000 or other 5% variants in chalk, but they did, so I'm assuming that is probably the best of the older sheerweave fabrics (not sure which ones are newer though).

seymourav.com is another AT screen manufacturer that is very responsive, has excellent prices and still supports the DIY builders. Chris developed a newer fabric to replace his use of 4500, that he calls 'xd'. he is closing out his 4500 stock at low per ft prices, and will also sell the 'xd' material by the foot. best yet, he will provide free 8.5x11" samples if you email him. all of these materials will have to be tilted to eliminate moire with the IN82. I have its baby brother (the X10) and am trying to figure out just how much I need to tilt the fabric (xd or 4500, both moire untilted with the x10). Both give nice pictures... they compare well to doable (I still prefer the picture on doable, but it is not AT). best of luck!

·
Banned
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the links to suppliers of this material.
In the interim, Wholesale Screen and Glass responded and gave me a link to Seymourav.com. I think they have exactly what I'm looking for and at a reasonable price.
The info about the moire is very helpful! Seymourav has two versions of their screen. One mentions rotation of 15º to eliminate moire. One is $12.95/linear foot, the rotated one is $19.95 lin ft.
I used the form on their site and requested the free sample.
I got the IN82 for $1425. It was an open box with 76 hours on it. Hopefully I can finish the whole setup for under $2K including projector. With these DIY materials and some from Home Depot, I should finish well under that.
A couple of years ago, I bought another driver to comprise a center channel speaker, so that cabinet needs building, but the rest of the audio is all set. The screen height and size should be perfect.
The tricky part is I have support columns in the way, but the way I built the house, they are probably both not needed and I can beef up one and remove the other, leaving a 12' throw from projector to screen, with 4' behind the screen for the array of speakers.
A trip to Joann's for sheer drapes for the sides, perhaps dark burgundy, and some black velvet for masking and I'll be all set. Just have to build a false wall for the screen support and curtain support. Speakers will be completely hidden, at last.

How do you like your InFocus projector?
I bought mine solely on reviews showing better shadow detail than the HC6500 that my friend has. I thought his picture was near-perfect except the darkest shadows were crushed to black. The IN82 may improve on this a bit, and then I would feel that the picture is good enough to replace my LCD flatpanel.

Funny how this studio has progressed... 1984: no video at all. 1987, a 19" NEC monitor. 2001: a 32" Phillips TV. 2007, a Vizio 47" LCD. 2009: we go to projection system! I waited 25 years to do this right. Last week was the first time I saw a projection system that rivaled plasma displays. I now believe it's time to jump in and join the fray.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Seymourav has two versions of their screen. One mentions rotation of 15º to eliminate moire. One is $12.95/linear foot, the rotated one is $19.95 lin ft.
I used the form on their site and requested the free sample.
The difference between the two is the fabric width (63 vs 98")... the sheerweave 4500 is also available last time I checked for $15 in the 98" width. the xd has a finer weave that is not noticable at reasonable viewing ditsances (~8ft or more). I think all of them will need to be rotated with the IN82, at least that is my experience with the X10. The 15 degrees is a guideline, and the only way to know for sure is to test it with a sample as set up in your viewing environment... I've noticed that if I get close enough, I can detect moire at any angle, but who watches a 100" screen at 1ft away! Chris recently replied to one of my questions stating that they basically go with the most tilt that can fit on the fabric width up to 20 degrees which has been enough for any projector they've tried. There are other benefits to tilting the fabric it seems (the picture just looks a little better). I have a spreadsheet that calculates how many feet of fabric you need at different tilt angles, and fabric width options... inputs are aspect ratio, screen height and edge excess (for stapling or piping), and the outputs are the diagonal viewable screen size and the lineal feet of the different fabric widths that will work (63" only works for small tilt angles and/or small screens).

I got the IN82 for $1425. It was an open box with 76 hours on it. Hopefully I can finish the whole setup for under $2K including projector. With these DIY materials and some from Home Depot, I should finish well under that.
Nice deal... I got the X10 new for $950 all-in after rebates :) I 'collected' my speakers (older polk 4 rt16s, CS350, 2 LS-fx) off craigslist at various points in time at an average cost of $75 per speaker. bought a refurb HK receiver for $200 (with 3yr factory warranty) and a pio BD player for $275. My screen right now is a 100" do-able panel ($14 at home depot), $2k was my target as well, but that included all the AV equipment as well. I've been with this for a while now, so I'm itching to start tinkering. Can't decide to go down the constant image height path, the AT screen path, the ceiling-retractable path or some combination... the best of all would be a ceiling retracting AT screen (and projector with anamorphic lens) and some compact DIY speakers that my wife won't object too strongly to. Sadly, with two little ones, the constraints are the problem... not enough money to pay someone to do it for me, and not enough time to do it myself!

A couple of years ago, I bought another driver to comprise a center channel speaker, so that cabinet needs building, but the rest of the audio is all set. The screen height and size should be perfect.
The tricky part is I have support columns in the way, but the way I built the house, they are probably both not needed and I can beef up one and remove the other, leaving a 12' throw from projector to screen, with 4' behind the screen for the array of speakers.
A trip to Joann's for sheer drapes for the sides, perhaps dark burgundy, and some black velvet for masking and I'll be all set. Just have to build a false wall for the screen support and curtain support. Speakers will be completely hidden, at last.
Any way to integrate subwoofers into those columns? might as well put them to good use ;) Also, here is a good place for some nice frame velvet: http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx/Plush-Triple-Velvet/Black-Plush-Velvet/681/264

How do you like your InFocus projector?
I bought mine solely on reviews showing better shadow detail than the HC6500 that my friend has. I thought his picture was near-perfect except the darkest shadows were crushed to black. The IN82 may improve on this a bit, and then I would feel that the picture is good enough to replace my LCD flatpanel.
FP is great... I think I would be happy with any of the current crop of HD projectors... even when displaying good SD material, the sheer 'wow' of the image size beats the best flat panels out there. Had a friend over that has a very nice pio elite 50" plasma and he was very impressed with even the 80" image I can fit on screen in my living room... later that night we watched an HD baseball game in the back yard at 120" (both of our jaws dropped... just long enough to pour more beer in ;). If light is controlled, blacks are decent on the X10, but nothing spectacular. Certainly not enough to make me regret getting the X10, but not up to the plasma blacks. As I said though, the immersion you get from getting a wide field of view makes up for any loss of blacks/contrast many times over.

·
Registered
81 Posts
the seymour xd material is not sheerweave 4500 (or any sheerweave fabric that I can tell)... the only weaves similar made by phifer are not offered in chalk, so maybe it is a custom run of an existing weave in chalk? dunno, but it is not the 4500, and has much less noticable texture from 8ft than the 4500. still requires tilting to eliminate moire from what I can tell with InFocus DLPs, but pretty much makes weave visibility a non-issue. At your viewing distance, I would pay up and go with teh xd material at 98" width and tilt it as much as you can for your desired screen size. It'll cost a bit more, but if you know you want an AT screen, it is still the best reasonably priced option (and maybe the best option period).

·
Banned
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since the Center Stage XD is the only material they list, it's a no-brainer, but I will go for the wider stuff and perhaps have them cut it for the 15º tilt, so that saves me an unweildy and possibly disastrous cutting mistake.

Here's the computer visualization of the framework with a 5x12' (2.35:1) screen:

and here's the finished look concept:

I'm keeping it simple and low-cost as possible!

·
Banned
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm planning to use Seymour AV's Center Stage XD material for the screen. The curtains will likely be a lightweight velvet, as they'll be in front of low frequency transducers only.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts