Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Senior Shackster , Platinum Supporter
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
I want to build my own sub box ported or sealed or a IB manifold, just don't know were to star, what subs to use, what size box, ports, manifold etc... :help: I will like some input from you guys.
I want to use 12's or 15's, maybe 4.
I watch movies(80%) and listen to music(20%).
Hopefully Sonnie:coocoo: will call me so I can help with his project, that way I can learn something and listen to the subs and maybe a good lunch:bigsmile: and who knows maybe I get pay.:cha-ching: :rofl:
Look at this subs, is this something the I can use? http://profesional.beyma.com/ENGLISH/producto.php

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Re: Need Info!

I will definitely let you help me with mine :yes: I just gotta get everything together tool wise and the wood too. I'm about to free up a lot of my time since the grass and land work is about to subside with cooler weather... plus it won't be blistering hot in that attic. PAID??? :raped: Yeah... maybe a sandwich... heehee

I'm gonna suggest going with the four SoundSplinters, but you'll have a better idea once get mine installed. I doubt anyone has ever tested the Beyma subs... strange as they are. I think there best XMAX is about 10mm anyway.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts

Do you forget you'll be in Luverne, Alabama ... lol We got a Subway, Mickey D's and Hardee's... and the convenient mart has some of those refrigerated microwaveable sandwiches that our last dog probably wouldn not have eaten.

·
Registered
202 Posts

Once worked with a guy who inherited his grand mas recipe book. In it was directions for cooking a skunk. You talk about poor folk.

·
Registered
202 Posts

True true. You might look up Cult of the Infinitely Baffled for IB stuff it is the source. Make sure you read the Facts page before you ask a questions as they can be a bit rough on a noob that asks the same old questions. They have all sorts of recommendations there.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts

Fred is right Rodny.... The Cult is a good read when you have time and they have tons of pics of IB projects. I spent quite a bit of time over there checking things out and asking a few questions.

·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are some measurements....
I'm trying to figured out were to put my IB.
I put the sub in the listening position and measured from 10Hz to 200Hz sweep and these are the results.
Would like some input!

LF1
sub lf 1.jpg
LF2
sub lf2.jpg
LF3
sub lf3.jpg
RF1
sub rf1.jpg
RF2
sub rf2.jpg
RF3
sub rf3.jpg
LOC5
sub loc 5.jpg

Slide1.JPG
thanks!!

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I like LF1 the best.

Best low frequency gain....fairly smooth response, easily equalized peak at 100Hz....least chance of localization.

sub.jpg

brucek

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
At first look I liked LF3 and LOC5... LOC5 seems to have the deepest extension, which I think is kinda the idea with an IB.

LF1 does have a trough from 50Hz - 80Hz but maybe that could benefit a house type curve.

You might locate two of your subs at LF1 and two at LOC5 and crossover the LOC5 at 50Hz-60Hz to help eliminate localization. I have one of my SVS subs up front and one in the rear, the one in the rear is crossed over at 60Hz... never a hint of localization.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
The best position is usually between the mains at the front of the room if the room permits. If there is a big null introduced in that position I'd consider an alternate but middle of the room in front tens to be the most transparent and integrates the best.

·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The best position is usually between the mains at the front of the room if the room permits. If there is a big null introduced in that position I'd consider an alternate but middle of the room in front tens to be the most transparent and integrates the best.
That was one of my first options, between the mains, but I don't want to used the garage for the IB back wave, it will rattle like crazy concrete floors, metal door nothing to absorb the sound. At least I think the attic will be little better:R
the neighbors...... :rant::paddle: :boxer: :teeth:

:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I should seal your roof against all that snow first. ;)

What is the white insulation made of?

I've seen it before on some of the the IB Cult installation images.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts