Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after a very crazy year and half (during which, I totally let Mechman down by not sending him a sample of the paint that was being used to supposedly paint my wall for projector use - Sorry dude! I don't even live in the same state anymore, and I never got to shine more than a realtor's camera at that wall), I am finally going to try and get my HT back up.

Since I have an X1 and a totally light controlled area in my basement, I am going to give DW a try.

The hard part seems to be finding the material to use for a frame. I will need to put up and take down the screen between uses, so I am looking to make a frame ala Mechman's in the substrate forum/thread. However, finding straight pieces of poplar have been impossible at my local Lowe's. I am going to check out the Depot this afternoon, but do any of you guys have any other suggestions for place to find quality poplar boards?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for increasing the torsional rigidity of a wooden frame to help prevent any warping?

Thanks!

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
tex,

No problem about the sample! ;) I've been pretty busy as things are. :yikes:

I'd try to find any straight hardwood. Before you put the whole thing together it'd be a good idea to put on a coat of polyurethane to help prevent future warping. Don't forget the ends either. If coming across straight hardwood is a problem you can always do what Tritonman did.

I wouldn't worry too much about torsion/warpage. Mine's been up for almost three years with nary a warp in it and I didn't poly the frame. :T

mech

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright! I have my DW screen material. Also, after a long search through the local Depot (my Lowes has a much, much smaller selection of hardwoods, and pre-cut 2' x 4' panels (but that's another topic), I've finally found enough poplar to make the frame. :jump:

I thought about trying the 1/4 inch plywood, but since I'm going for a 5 x 10 screen (we watch a decent amount of old B&W movies that are 4:3, and I'd like to have a good size screen for that material), getting 2 sheets and trying to join them was going to get tricky.

I'll take photos of my work progress (which won't start for another 2 weeks or so since I am heading out of the country on Wednesday to try and get back a painting of mine (a loooong story! :explode:

Thanks again to everyone on here (and to the recent Gain Readings, which helped verify that I've made a solid choice for my screen material).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alrighty, no pics yet (that will be tonight), but I have the frame assembled.

I had to put small pieces on the back of the frame in order to create about 1" of clearance due to the previous owner of the house installing a built-in bookshelf on the wall where I'm going to mount the screen.

I am going to be attaching the DW tonight (crossing fingers and praying fervently that I don't screw something up when trying to glue the laminate to the frame).

Oh, and by the way, if anyone ever needs to get a painting out of Argentina (specifically a modern art piece given to them while in Brazil, but Argentinean customs believes could be an Argentinean antique), let me know. I have some suggestions that might help. :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK,

I finished the bulk of the screen (still no border, but it is hanging on the wall!). I have some pics showing the build (pics of it hanging on the wall will come tonight).

Here's the box for the screen (note the fullsize refrigerator next to it).

Here's the frame.

Here's one of the connection points. I added a support screw to give the connection some added strength.

I used the trim pieces to compensate for needing to go around the frame of a built-in bookshelf.

I was fresh out of dowel rods, so shovels and rakes had to do. :D

And finally, just waiting to dry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts