Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Coming from this thread... I have started to build my Pulse sub... nearly finished with its assembly.

I will be using the Audiopulse AX15D2 Axis 15" driver... powered by the Behringer EP2500, bridged 4 ohms.

The cabinet will be an LLT design, although it will only be tuned to about 20Hz. The volume will be approximately 7.5ft^3 with an 8.125" port at 40" long.

Here's a few construction pics:

I hope to have it finished by tomorrow and maybe get some REW measurements over the weekend.

No doubt I will be trying it out with some movie action. I have been without a sub for several months now.

After this... it's an IB with 4 Fi Audio IB3 18's. :T

·
Registered
533 Posts
Nice Sonnie.... that thing should slaughter... good clean accurate bass...

I like the 20hz tune, should still present you with some nice upper bass....

I wish I could put a huge ported sub in my house, but that just aint happenin...

I can't wait to see what happens to all those little trinkets on all those shelves.. Please tell me that you have a plan to video record the battle that wages on between all of them to see who ends up the king of the hill... :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
Very, very good cabinet construction there Sonnie... Who did it :rofl:

I guess it can be your Christmas present this year :bigsmile: I presume the Port will fire up into the room and the driver downwards? Those Audiopulse Drivers look the goods

Just a side note, arnt you worried about that low port resonance? it looks like 168Hz which seems lowish although i guess its too late anyway

Looking great and cant wait to see and hear listening impressions

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I plan to use the 80Hz LPF, so 168Hz shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks on the comps... the pics actually make it look better than it really is. :sarcastic:

Rodny taught me well. :sarcastic: :sarcastic: :heehee:

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
This will be an absolute monster. The 5 cube sealed axis I just built seemed to fill an 8500 cubic foot room very well. It was flat to 15Hz with minor equalization and was very visceral! So your ported version will probably have more than enough output for anyone's needs.

These are amazing drivers. I am jealous!

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it's all done and playin' live now. It does wonders for watching satellite.

I watched a little bit of the Eagles and the bass sounded like it was coming from the screen... and actually sounded pretty good with no equalization. I bet when I measure it, it will be all over the place. :sarcastic:

I tested a scene from Jurassic Park III and it did all it was supposed to do with that scene. I didn't get too carried away with it for now, since I don't have a HPF on it. I want to test WOTW, Transformers, and a few others. But mainly I want to get some REW measurements. Maybe the wife will slip out of the house tomorrow and I can play a bit.

Here are the final pics...

It barely ... I mean barely fit. I had to take the door off for it to slide through the opening.

The exterior of the unit will remain unfinished for now.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a DCX2496, which I can use to set up a Butterworth 2nd order HPF at 20Hz, but I wanted to make sure of my tuning frequency first. I may go ahead and pick up the ED eQ.2 because I will need a 5Hz HPF with the 4 Fi IB3 18's in my IB build. That's when IB in sub heaven. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
What a neat solution to a critical space problem. Plus the fact we haven't seen the Pulse equipment used too often. Way to go Sonnie.
All those braces with the cutouts are impressive too along with the 8 inch port, wow! Good stuff all the way around.

·
Registered
203 Posts
What a neat solution to a critical space problem. Plus the fact we haven't seen the Pulse equipment used too often. Way to go Sonnie.
All those braces with the cutouts are impressive too along with the 8 inch port, wow! Good stuff all the way around.
I'd like to second that

Really good construction and a really good way to get the best outcome given the space available

Big :T To you Sonnie

Now all we need to see is graphs

·
Senior Shackster , Platinum Supporter
828 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys!

Yeah... I saw that Rodny and almost moved on it, but decided to wait for now. I hate to buy it and then end up going a different route and not needing it.

The IB is purely experimental and for the experience in building one. :bigsmile:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She let me watch Eagle Eye and Hancock, while she watched TV in the other room and played her DS Lite games, but I had to keep it low volume.

It will be Wednesday before I get graphs, that is as long as she has to work.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It has been shut thus far, but it will be interesting to see the difference with it open and shut. That door opens up into another small closet type room that has another door on it as well.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts