Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 98 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yes... absolutely... if they are living together now, getting married would be advisable as soon as possible. :T :T :T

Of course I should have also mentioned that being married for 24 years might very well play into the situation. By then they have learned how to be louder than the home theater system... although my hearing has also gotten a lot worse. I know I did not just say that, did I? Lucky my wife doesn't ever visit the Shack. :sweat:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hey Sonnie, Thats an amazing job on the sub build:T
do you plan on finishing the outside of the sub with something or with you leaving it in the closet are you just keeping it as is?

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
If you want an easy, good looking, way to finish the sub I would suggest texture spray paint. You will just have to bondo the bigger problem areas then spray a couple coats of primer and finish with the paint. Here is an example of how it will look (sorry for the blur):

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The Behemoth was textured, but it was a finer texture similar to that of the SVS finish.

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
That's a nice finish, what type of paint is it? Looks like more finish work would be required than the paint I used.

BTW, if you care here is the Axis I built:

They guy upgraded from a Paradigm Servo 15 V2. He liked the old sub, but says the new one is just plain crazy on the low end. It is a 5 cube sealed design powered by a bridged EP2500 and EQed flat to 15Hz with a DCX2496.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yeah the Behemoth was huge.

Here's a pic of Rodny and Walter after we got it unloaded and in place.

Rodny primed it, texture painted it, then use another finish paint on it. He used a paint from one of his paint stores in Montgomery. He can probably tell you exactly what all he used.

Nice work on that sealed AudioPulse :T

·
Senior Shackster , Platinum Supporter
828 Posts
That's a nice finish, what type of paint is it? Looks like more finish work would be required than the paint I used.
We used texture automotive paint SEM, I use it to paint dashes on cars or any piece that I make for the interior of the car and we finish with a color match paint for vinyl, made by SEM or DuPont.

You have to paint the box with a build up primer to get a smooth finish.

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
We used texture automotive paint SEM, I use it to paint dashes on cars or any piece that I make for the interior of the car and we finish with a color match paint for vinyl, made by SEM or DuPont.
Thanks, I will have to remember this one in the future.

You have to paint the box with a build up primer to get a smooth finish.
Yeah, it certainly doesn't look like it will hide any flaws.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I ended up having to work at the office until lunch today... then we had to visit at the hospital before I headed home, so I had very little time to do anything, but I did get a quick measurement in after running Auto-Setup again. It doesn't look terrible although we could park a bus in that trough. It still sounds really good to me.

pulse-audyssey-after-onethirdsmoothing.jpg

Looks like I may have tuned it a tad lower than I thought I was tuning it... maybe 17Hz or so, although I did not actually measure nearfield speaker and port to verify.

Still no HPF either.

I watched about half of Hellboy II this afternoon and I am impressed.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The room is about 20' x 20' or so... with a 6' opening into a very large kitchen that also has two other very large opening... then a 5' opening into the foyer... a standard opening into a small study... and another opening into another small foyer that goes to our bedroom. Plus the ceilings are 10' high. It has to fill a huge area. Estimating probably over 15,000ft^3.

No treatments other than a large sofa, loveseat and recliner.

The bits in the cabinet have not moved, rattled or said a word about anything. The only rattles are if you are standing in the kitchen, the tray in the microwave along with a few dishes here and there, will rattle during certain scenes. Nothing that can be heard if you are in the great room.

21 - 40 of 98 Posts