Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
FYI

The RL-p's were based on the TC-9 motor, but a second spider was added and the tinsels were woven into the front (closest to the cone) spider. I don't recall if the more recent iteration TC-2000 is the same but if Sonnie says so...

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Well... nearly three months later Cedar Creek Cinema (the second time around) is finally finished.

I did get the other Pulse sub built and it is exactly as the first one. I decided to leave the feet the same and stand them in the corners.

The finish is Kilz primer, Valspar textured paint and Olympic flat black latex enamel. It is not near as fine as my Behemoth finish was, but it worked out fairly nice. I am sure Rodny could have done a better job finishing it, but he skipped country on me. :huh:

So what does the response look like in the new HT room?

Of course it is combined with the Fi Riser Q18's, so it ain't a standalone measurement, but I did measure nearfield driver and port...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Wow! That's all nice stuff Sonnie. I'm impressed, your HT room and setup have started me thinking about a complete room for myself. Others I've seen haven't done that.
Looking at the FR curve . . . . . I'll bet things rattle when you're up over 110db @20hz and below.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Thanks Phil... :T

You know, I was wonderfully surprised when I heard zero rattles. There was hardly a thing that did not get glued, caulked, screwed, nailed or stapled down where it would not rattle... or cause unwanted noises. Of course, there are vibrations, but just not the noisy kind, thankfully. We pushed the subs pretty hard with Cloverfield at about 120db and we were vibrating ourselves. I could feel it like I have never felt it before with bass... remarkable to say the least. I am looking forward to a small gathering/meet of AV enthusiast to show off the system. :whistling:

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Awesome build quality and you have two of these monsters! That has to be pretty impressive. I'm amazed that nothing is rattling. Now I have "sub envy" with my puny single SVS PC12-NSD.:crying:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Thanks Lester... yeah... two of these and 4 Fi Q-18's do the trick really well.

Rattling... well... our teeth rattle a bit. :heehee:

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Thanks Lester... yeah... two of these and 4 Fi Q-18's do the trick really well.

Rattling... well... our teeth rattle a bit. :heehee:
And your brain:run2:
120db - WOW, even in that large room you probably fell the compression!!!
Seriously, very impressive sub build and room you have. Love your setup! Now if I can just find a bigger place to do the same...

Ray

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Hey Sonnie,

How do you do your impressive brace cutouts?

I got making circles down thanks to our friend Jasper but the cutouts around the circles are impressive indeed. Do you make a template to follow so all the braces are identical?

Any pics would be great concerning the process.

I have the Axis little brother 12" and a pair of the TC-3000 15" so I know you are loving your Axis twins.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Hey Mike...

I trace/draw out the cutout areas and then use a combination of hole saw and jig saw to cutout the beginning pattern board. I then lie all other boards on top of the pattern board (screwing it down) and use a router to cutout the same areas on the new board. It is a dusty job and takes a while, but it gets all the brace cutouts identical. I then route all the edges of the cutouts with a round-over bit.

·
Banned
440 Posts
Like the flare shaped end of the port how long did that take to get the smoothness or roundness or shape?

Have you used Saturn black spray paint because it looks like same colour as my diy sub?

Top marks anyway Sonnie. :4.5stars:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Thanks Andy.

I routed it out with a 1.5" roundover bit and then sanded it down... did not take long at all.

The paint is truck bed liner.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Hi Derrick and welcome to the Shack :T

Thanks!

I never have figured up the cost, but I suspect it would be around $800-1000 or so for the driver and materials, unless you could catch a good deal on the drivers, which have been known to surface all along.

The software used to design it is WinISD... we have a Sticky Thread that explains the use of it and where you can download it from.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Thanks...I am trying to build subs and speakers, so I am just looking at what everybody else is doing and gathering some info. I am 16 and I just bought some klipsch XF-48's, so I owe my parents about 1000$'s still, so I can't build anything yet .:crying:

·
Registered
420 Posts
I thought about building a sub using an audiopulse driver, but the idea's still fermenting in my head.:scratchhead: Very nice enclosure, must have taken a long time to build and cut. How much cubic feet of air is their in that enclosure?

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Check out the first post... it will give you all the details. It ended up being tuned to about 18.7Hz, so the volume or port is a bit off from what I planned.

61 - 80 of 98 Posts