Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I have been thinking of making three woofers (I hesitate to call <20Hz a subwoofer) for my mains. My room is a little lacking in midbass and 'kick', so I hope to be able to compensate a little for that.

My current mains are Klipsch THX Ultra2 KL-650, on MDF stands. I was thinking of maybe replacing the stands with the woofers or something similar. A DCX2496 and a couple of amps should make it possible to EQ and cross them over reasonably.

I am thinking pro amps and 10-15" woofers. What drivers would you recommend for such a setup?

My current front row:

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
What FR do you want them to cover? Lowest frequency they'll cover? What's the budget and how big can the cab/cabs be externally? I'm thinking pro woofers to go with the pro amps, but it depends on how deep you need to go.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm thinking 40-ish Hz or so, up to whatever sounds decent. The KL-650 is double 6,5" with a pretty decent output, so they probably won't have to go too high.

Not really limited to cab sizes, I have plenty of room behind the screen. The area from front wall to the screen is about 60cm deep (2 feet), and the stands are 120m (4 feet). You see the layout in the picture in my first post.

Haven't though about budget yet, but lets try to keep it reasonable.

Edit: Just realized the Crown XTI 2000 have a proper DSP. That means I can ditch the DCX2496 and do processing per channel in the amp. With one XTI2000 for each channel (woofer and main) I can do EQ, crossover and delay without the Behringer. That saves me almost the cost of one of the amps. The XTI can do DSP for each channel separately, right?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Not sure about the XTI.

If you are looking for massive punch above 30hz definitely go with ported pro woofers. You are in Norway. How is your availability of B&C, 18Sound, Faital etc... (All Italian I believe) Depending on how much you want to spend each has a good selection of high power 15-18" woofers.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm not looking for MASSIVE punch, really. I am looking for an even FR with headroom to spare across the spectrum. I've got it up high, and the mains will do reference without noticeable problems, but they sound a little 'thin'. The room has always been like that, no matter what I put in there, so I need something with a little headroom so I can play with EQ a bit.
The low end is fine, I have two RL-p15 LLT sonotubes that will happily go pretty low, so no worries there.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got a good deal on XTi2000, so I'm most likely going with three of those because of the built in DSP.

Been looking at Dayton 15" drivers, one for each LCR and have one amp drive one dayton and one KL-650. I'll use the crossover and EQ in the amp, and see how far up I can push the Dayton drivers. They are cheap, and supposedly pretty decent. That way my poor Denon only have to drive my two 5,25" rears, and it should be up to that task. I'll also have around 7kW on tap for the fronts, which should be sufficient, I think.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking either RSS390HO-4 or TIT400C-4 sealed, but then someone on a different forum showed me Bill Fitzmaurice's HTH design. I'm suddenly thinking that 3 of these, one for each LCR should do the trick and give me all I would ever need in terms of kick and punch in the chest. They might be too big, though, I haven't got the plans yet.

Edit, looking at the plans, I see they are 36" deep. That's too deep to fit behind my screen. And being a horn design I can't turn them sideways, can I?

·
Registered
267 Posts
EDIT: Missed a post. The THTs will do.

If you are talking about the Dayton RSS390HF-4 15" the first major problem is at 1.5kHz, so you can run it up pretty high. I wouldn't go much past 200Hz here though, as the drivers are going to be spaced apart pretty good.

I would also stay sealed, as this driver need a huge ported enclosure. Just use the EQ to bring up the low end some.

With the sensitivity mismatch, I believe you would be better off with another driver, or at least two Dayton 15"s per main.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ok, that means the THT are out. I just don't have the room behind my screen. Maybe a smaller folded horn, with a 12? I can probably JUUUUST squeeze in 24" behind my screen at the center, slightly more on the sides (curved screen). The sides could possibly be positioned on either side of the screen, in which case I could get away with 30"-32".

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I saw that. It just irks me, cause three THT would be so cool! :hsd::bigsmile:

Thinking that I have four corners in my room, and a pair of 15" LLT sonotubes. I could ditch those and build four THT, and then maybe three T24 for the mains. I may lose a little in the single digits, but I will have all the 15+ I EVER need and then another 20dB headroom, I guess! :sn:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So what if I go sealed and just forget about the horns. I can then build them pretty much any shape I want. I will have power to spare for a 40+ application, I guess. It's for LCRs, so they only need to do 105dBSPL at LP.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got the excursion plots, airspeeds and such as well?

Seems the ported, which is basically linear to 30Hz could be a good option. Any input on sound quality at higher frequencies? These will do alot of the midbass work as well, probably up tp 150ish Hz.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I'd think a ported Exodus Anarchy would do wonders for midbass. You get the small box, and the ability to cross it higher than you would with a sub. I think the LLT subs can take sub 50hz just fine and leave the rest to the Anarchy driver. It's an options worth thinking about IMO.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts