Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my names mark and I've recently discovered this scene and am really interested. So i want to get started and here is my situation.

I've got perhaps and odd question. whilst rummaging through a bunch of old stuff I found something that i thought may be useful. I found the amp out of my old set of Logitech X540's. So being very new to the DIY speaker/sub scene I thought it could be of use. I'm wanting to build a 5.1 system for my PC for movies and music. and seeing as the amp is right there it would be a good opportunity to start my first build. But I'm unsure weather it could be used. So I'm wondering if it would be up to the task.

I've attached some pictures of it below. and if it is useable, what would you guys suggest. I tried to find some kind of schematic for it but i couldn't. although in one post a person had linked the schematic but the link was dead. he referred to the amp as a "SAT540" if that's any help.

Also sorry in advance if this is the wrong section to post this in, but it seemed right.

Pipe Auto part Metal Exhaust system Automotive exhaust

Audio equipment Electronics Electronic device Technology Electronic component

Electronics Electrical wiring Light Wire Yellow

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I agree with Mike that the logitech amp won't likely help you much. Unfortunately you're going to have to start from scratch, and it won't be as inexpensive as you might have thought. But if you're willing to make the investment you'll be able to come away with a DIY setup that's head and heels above whatever you've experienced thus far.

For a computer setup it's true that you don't need ultra high output but even then you need head room and a 70w amplifier lacks it(especially given an unpredictable speaker load that it wasn't specified for). You could try to go with high efficiency speakers but the aformentioned 40hz cutoff will suffocate your bass response in the important bottom octave.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts