Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am Planning to buy my first 5.1 Home Theater but do not know where to start.

Can somebody guide me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I am Planning to buy my first 5.1 Home Theater but do not know where to start. Can somebody guide me.
You'll find a lot of help here ... just few questions to start:

1. What is your budget????
2. What is the room dimension where you will install the system???
3. Are you looking for floorstanders, bookshelves or small speakers???
4. What other equipment you have (AVR, TV, DVD, etc.)???
5. Are you planing to use DTS HD and True HD decoders???
6. Do you have something in mind (Onkyo, Yamaha, Pionner, etc)???

This is just to start ... :bigsmile:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies

My budget is $ 500
I have DVD and also planning for 40 inches LCD or Plasma to connect it with.
It would be floor standing speakers for my living 5 x 8 meters
Digital audio input would be available either electric or optical.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
For $500 your almost stuck with A Home Theater in a box system. Onkyo has some nice systems. Stay away for most HTIB systems as they simply dont have the headroom or the quality. You would be able to get some nice speakers for that price but thats about it as a decent receiver with HDMI will run you $300 at the very least.
The Onkyo HT-S4100 is about the best option for that price.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I reccomend an inexpensive (sub $300 )avr with sufficient inputs and a pair of used good quality bookshelf speakers for $200. Then save $ to buy front towers and a center and finally save more $ to buy a sub. You can peice togther a nice HT for maybe 1K total if you some used and build up slowly. I am really not a big beliver in HTIB (Although I have a friend who has one of those Onkyo HTIB that isn't that bad). $500 on a HTIB is basically a sunk cost. You really can't upgrade and build around the reciver in a HTIB. But if you buy a decent AVR then you can upgrade your speakers as you grow (and your budget grows). My 2 cents

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dear TLC
Thanks for the advice. Its logical. I will think about that.
I need a little research for that.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
... I am really not a big beliver in HTIB (Although I have a friend who has one of those Onkyo HTIB that isn't that bad). $500 on a HTIB is basically a sunk cost. You really can't upgrade and build around the reciver in a HTIB...
I agree with you about getting an AVR and a pair of speakers (used can be a cheaper option too) :yes:

But, I don't completely agree about the statement that he can't really upgrade the HTIB ... that will depend on what HTIB he gets :bigsmile: ... if is one of those like Bose (that uses a single cable or controler I agree); but the onkyo has a separate AVR and speakers ... so he can swap them anytime :yes:

Here is the specifications of the Onkyo S5100 and Onkyo s4100 (just look at the picture of the rear to see what I mean) :bigsmile:

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
For $500 your almost stuck with A Home Theater in a box system. Onkyo has some nice systems. Stay away for most HTIB systems as they simply dont have the headroom or the quality... The Onkyo HT-S4100 is about the best option for that price.
I agree with Tony ... I also suggest to take a look at the Onkyo system, here is a price comparison on S5100 system that is a little better than the S4100 and can be had for less than $500 :yes:

EDIT: This can be a good started system ... even if you get a nice tower, center, sub, AVR, etc. ... you'll be upgrading the system once the upgraditis hit you :bigsmile: ... this is a nonstop hobby :yes:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I agree with you about getting an AVR and a pair of speakers (used can be a cheaper option too) :yes:

But, I don't completely agree about the statement that he can't really upgrade the HTIB ... that will depend on what HTIB he gets :bigsmile: ... if is one of those like Bose (that uses a single cable or controler I agree); but the onkyo has a separate AVR and speakers ... so he can swap them anytime :yes:

Here is the specifications of the Onkyo S5100 and Onkyo s4100 (just look at the picture of the rear to see what I mean) :bigsmile:
Is should rephrase

For the vast majority of Sub 500 HTIB you can't really upgrade around the AVR. Even in the case of the Onkyp where it has sufficient power etc you still end up with an AVR that has only HDMI pass through and no ability totake advantage of HD codecs etc. its the price you pay for getting all that stuff for under 500 (BTW in Canada you can't buy that stuff under $500 so I might be a bit biased)

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
... its the price you pay for getting all that stuff for under 500 (BTW in Canada you can't buy that stuff under $500 so I might be a bit biased)
:T

Remember the saying: "You get what you pay for" ... I think most of us started with small system (in my case was a Infinity TSS750 system) and upgrade little by little :yes:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Have a look at The Yamaha line they have some HTIB systems as well that wont be too bad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I Thank all of you for your feedback. I have bought Onkyo HT-R518 with Jamo speaker around 400$.
I have not connected it yet and will give you input how I find it. It is having all the input possibilities I was looking for.
Please do give me your feedback.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
... I have bought Onkyo HT-R518 with Jamo speaker around 400$. I have not connected it yet and will give you input how I find it...
Now the fun starts ... tweeking, changing, upgrading, etc. this is a non-stop hobby :bigsmile:

Congratulations ... we're here to help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have connected it and I really liked it. Its sound is good. I have connected it with coaxial cable. Yesterday I bought the optical cable and checked it and found it nice. I don't still have anything to check the HDMI interface.
About the subwoofer SUB200 there are left and right inputs which I did not understand. I have connected my subwoofer to left input and getting no problem.
Well I got what I paid for and I'm very happy with it.
Thanks for all of you for your guidances and suggestions.

ASIM

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I have connected it and I really liked it. Its sound is good.
Good to hear that :T

About the subwoofer SUB200 there are left and right inputs which I did not understand. I have connected my subwoofer to left input and getting no problem...
Believe me I understand ... some manuals are a little confusing :bigsmile:, either input will work (left or right) ... in some cases combining those input give you an output increase (sub will sound louder), you just need to use a " Y cable" to connect to left and right inputs instead of just one side :yes: (just get a one female to two male cable that looks like this

...Well I got what I paid for and I'm very happy with it. Thanks for all of you for your guidances and suggestions.
The most important thing is that you're Happy with what you got ...you'll have plenty of time to upgrade your equipment little by little :yes:

We're glad to help each other :bigsmile:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts