Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks. Newbie here. I'm not super smart when it comes to home theater systems so please bear with me. I just bought this receiver for $100 locally and now I just need to get 2 floor speakers and 1 sub. My question is, what kind of speakers as far as specs (wattage, impedance, etc) should I get for this receiver? Anything you would recommend somewhere between $400-$700 new/used? I see a lot on bestbuy but I am not exactly sure which ones have great reputation and real reviews from the experts here. I will be using the system for music streaming from my phone/ipad (bought a bluetooth adapter) and also for movies (4k Visio TV). Thank you folks in advance!

Here are the specs online for my receiver:
POWER OUTPUT:
100 W (20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channels driven @ 8 ohms, 0.09% THD)
110 W (1 kHz, 2 channels driven @ 8 ohms, 0.9% THD)

DYNAMIC POWER:
140 W @ 8 ohms
180 W @ 6 ohms
210 W @ 4 ohms
250 W @ 2 ohms

· HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,409 Posts
If you're going to use this system for HT you really need a center channel as well. With that, a left and right speaker along with a sub you'll have a 3.1 setup, enough to get some of the intended experience. With just 2 speakers and a sub all you'll be doing is basically amplifying the sound your TV would play, certainly not ideal.

How big is your room (HWD)? The total volume of space factors in when buying speakers and subwoofers.

· Registered
254 Posts
Forget "dynamic power" -- that spec is meaningless in the real world. And the 100/110 power output specs are "receiver watts" which are overstated by about double compared to stand-alone amplifiers. And even though there are power ratings for 2 ohm, and 4 ohm speakers, NEVER use those with any receiver if you are interested in sound quality. Many receivers simply put a resistor in series with low impedance speakers so the actual impedance the receiver sees is close to 8 ohms. Stick with speakers rated as 8 ohm speakers so they are easy to drive with a receiver. Then there's the price... $100 is NOTHING for a receiver and chances are it is pretty evil sounding. Something happened to receivers around 2011 and most of them (except the cheapest models, like stereo and 5.1 models) started sounding FAR better than they ever sounded. In fact, a $1500 2011 receiver KILLED the sound quality of the $5500 Denon flagship receiver from circa 2008. A $100 receiver bodes pretty poorly for sound quality. You may find that spending as much as you have budgeted is kind of a waste unless you expect to replace the receiver before too long with something newer and better-sounding (I would recommend a receiver no more than 5 years old from a mainstream Asian brand or a "step-up" model from companies that actually pay some attention to sound quality (Rotel, NAD, Outlaw, Anthem, Cambridge, Arcam, etc.). You can save a TON on speakers by getting them used also. Audiogon.com is possibly the best site for used (and some new) audio gear, including speakers and receivers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts