Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been following both the BW and the Wilsonart threads. I actually setup a 95" BW screen and was happy with it, other than the 4:1 was a darker than I expected. Unfortunately, 96" turned out to be way smaller than I wanted. So I went to 116" and just painted the (really bad) wall with Kilz2. It actually looks okay, but having light issues, I want to go back to gray. Turns out, BW reveled every flaw on the wall. Fast forward a few weeks and I have a local source for 5x10 MDF and 5x10 Wilsonart D315-60. The cost difference is not of concern and I already have extra AAA for the BW. My question is; which should I go with? BW MDF or the D315-60 (or the lighter D381-60)? If you compare BW4:1 to D315-60, which is darker? Other pros/cons (beside the initial labor to setup)?

-Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Matt I'd have to look it up, but is the D315 Platinum or Fashion Grey?

·
Registered
746 Posts
I would go with the laminate.
I went with a pvc board and am so happy I did.
I to owas using BW on the wall and I too couldn't stand the texture of the wall.
Under $100 for a smooth screen = priceless. :)

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Platinum is darker than Fashion Grey.

Based on that and since Platinum doesn't have the added reflectivity of the aluminum, between the two I personally would go with BW over Wilsonart Platinum.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will be going with MDF painted with BW. I did get 3 grey 8x10 samples from Wilasonart yesterday. THe DoveGrey (D92-60) is the darkest but not as Dark as BW4:1. If I was going with the Wilaonart, I would likely choose the D92-60, or at least do a little more investigation. When I get the screen up; I will put all 3 samples against the BW and post some photos.

-Thanks,
Matt

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I'm a bit late to this conversation :hide: but if cost wasn't a factor, I'd go with the laminate. It's lighter and sturdier - drop the mdf on it's corner and it's ruined! And the framing for laminates doesn't have to be that difficult either.

What thickness mdf did you go with?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm a bit late to this conversation :hide: but if cost wasn't a factor, I'd go with the laminate. It's lighter and sturdier - drop the mdf on it's corner and it's ruined! And the framing for laminates doesn't have to be that difficult either.

What thickness mdf did you go with?
Hi Mech,

I did not purchase the mdf yet. It tuned out that a remodel of the theater/bar area is bigger than expected, so I am a few weeks out. I was figuring that for the MDF I would not need a frame at all. I was going to attach French cleats directly to it and hang it up. Were you thinking 'go with the laminate' and use as-is, or paint it?

I don't recall seeing any final word on the darker Wilsonart laminates, but I might have and just forgoten. In comparing the 3 samples. it seems like there would be a blue push on at least one, but I have the projector down at the moment and and do any basic testing.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The MDF is 1/3rd the cost of the wilsonart and I will not have to build a frame. One concern I have with BW is I believe it is too dark. I will go back into the BW thread to check the status of the lighter experiments. The primary reason I was thinking Wilsonart was because I thought it would not need painting and I had not been able to find 5x10mdf. In my search for Wilsonart, I found out the same place has the 5x10 mdf.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As a former Fashion Grey user turned Black Widow user, paint it! :bigsmile:
I can see why you would like BW over Fashion Grey, as Fashion Grey is very light. Did you ever try the DoveGrey? It is the darkest of the 3 and much closer to BW. But like WBasset said- you don't get the reflective property of the aluminum. I can't recall now, I will have to pull my samples, but the dovegrey might have been the one I expected to push blue.

-Matt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts