Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need some suggestion to get the best contrast, colors and black levels for diy screen. i've search the forum for C&S Ultra and Black Widow and i'm a little bit confused on what paint should i go with black widow with the new formula of AAA or if there's an alternative to use other silvers besides the liquitex basics silver for C&S Ultra. can't decide which of these 2 diy screen will give best results on my screen. i have optoma hd25e projector and projecting to the wall about 14 feet distance. i need to know if i should go with C&S Ultra or Black Widow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
room doesn't have that much ambient light and using the cinema mode. it will be night time use and not during the day. so i just want to know which of these 2 will perform with excellent contrast, colors and black levels. also i need guide of how to mix these paints i tried to follow the BW mix but its an old thread same thing with C&S. Just wondering if both of those mixes have new updates.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
While I'm not the expert, (Harp or Mech will surely chime in soon) I think the Black Widow Ultra will work better. They reformulated after the AAA was discontinued. Seems like they have got a new formula pretty much worked out. I'll try & find the link when I get home if they don't beat me to it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, thanks. also do you know which of these 2 have a higher gain? i know that the darker it gets you loses some gain.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
You certainly don;t need any gain with your projector and the mounting distance you stated in your first post. At that distance you can have anywhere from a 108-129" screen with the 129" screen giving you 25fL according to PJCentral. What you do need is help with blacks.

Go with BW Ultra™ and use either Dover Grey or Veil as a base. They're listed in the sticky thread here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do i have to mix this paint with AAA for BW Ultra? are these paints OTS or they have to be tinted into gray? is the mixture 1:1 ratio just like the C&S?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so a quart of base paint and 16.oz of AAA is that correct? will that be enough for 120" screen?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just wondering if i could substitute the AAA using liquitex basics silvers instead? if its ok to use liquitex silvers i'll post the results once i start working on the wall.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
so a quart of base paint and 16.oz of AAA is that correct? will that be enough for 120" screen?
No, that is not correct. The ratio of AAA-F to the base paint has always been 1 part AAA-F to 4 parts of the base paint. That means you would add 8 fluid ounces of AAA-F to 32 fluid ounces of base paint. With the new AAA-F having smaller aluminum particles than the old version, there is a possibility that more of the new AAA-F could be added to increase gain; but that has not been tested yet so for right now I wouldn't recommend it.

Your 120" screen would have ~43 square feet of surface area and the given ratio of paints would add up to 40 fluid ounces. 40 fluid ounces of paint should paint that screen.

just wondering if i could substitute the AAA using liquitex basics silvers instead? if its ok to use liquitex silvers i'll post the results once i start working on the wall.
No, Liquitex BASICS 'Silver' has vastly different reflective and color properties than AAA-F so one cannot be used to replace the other.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you harp for advice. i'll get the AAA online i don't think i can get that paint locally. i'm to start prepping the wall this weekend. thanks again! :T

1 - 12 of 12 Posts