Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JCD has recently posted a pic of his new sub in the SWAMP, I thought it looked realy good and so got wondering what sort of finishes everyone is using on their projects so I thought I'd start this thread and hopefully people will post a small pic of their finishes (e.g piano finish, hammertone, veneer, etc) and a quick explanation of how they got it.

thanks all

Dr F

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
Great idea. If this gains some momentum, we may even make it a sticky. So post those pics and finishing techniques guys!

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
My favorite recipes:

1. 50/50 Boiled Linseed Oil and Poly blend (5 -10 coats)
Use 0000 steel wool to rub in the blended finish. Wait about half an hour and with lint free towel wipe in any shiny or wet spots that remain. Wait for another 20 minutes and repeat. Do this as many times as necessary until you get the desired depth of finish. By applying the finish with the steel wool you will end up with a very smooth, satin sheen finish that is fool proof. Zero runs or drips and completely flat. If you desire a gloss finish then wait a day and rub it out with 2000 to 4000 grit sandpaper with a little soapy water. Finish with rotten stone polish.

2. Sprayed Lacquer (10 coats)
This is one of my favorites. I often go up to 20 coats depending on the depth desired. Basically this is another fool proof finish because you can easily sand out lint, drips, runs etc... and re-coat until you get it right. You can leave the final coat nice and glossy without rubbing out or you can rub it out for a perfectly flat finish. You can generally spray a new coat every 20 minutes, it dries nice and fast.

3. Tung oil or boiled linseed oil cut with naptha
This is another great finish that is wonderful for furniture, gives it a nice satin feel and classic antiquie appearance with lots of depth to the wood grain. It's easy, just thin Tung oil or boiled linseed oil about 50/50 or 60/40 (60 Tung) and wipe the finish into the wood with a lint free cloth or with 0000 steel wool. I prefer steel wool as it knocks down the fibers for a velvety feel. Wait for half an hour and wipe in the wet spots. Repeat after dry as many times as you like but usually no less than 3 coats. I try for 10.

Darren

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice finishes.

C'mon people, how do you do it? I was hopeing someone has found a way to DIY there own hamertone finish or maybe even a wavey smooth finnish.

·
2,216 Posts
So far my two speaker projects have been:

Black subwoofer (spray paint without primer on MDF, I learned the hard way)
Painted speakers (copper/blue crackle finish -- neat lightning/aged effect).

My best finishing project was my equipment rack. Still painted, but I did everything right:
Sanded mdf
Spray Zinsser BIN primer, three coats, overlap the edges quite a bit.
Light sanding
Sprayed diluted black acrylic enamel paint, two coats.
Sprayed water-based poly, two coats
Lightly rubbed finish.

The end result was great. I'll snap some pics. Sadly the lesson learned is that great finishes take time and patience!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I figured I should go ahead and post a pic here too..

Both the sub and the speaker are skinned with a Lacewood veneer. The sub has three coats of a glossy polyeurothane, the speaker was coated by someone else, but I think it was just one coat of less glossy eurothane.

JCD

·
2,216 Posts
Great look to those. I love burled/birds-eye figure on woods. It's much better than all that boring straight grain and flat sawn stuff I use for everything else :D

Sadly that's usually all that's in my budget.

Good work.

For everyone's info: if you are going to finish a lot of things (a whole run of speakers, cabinets, a kitchen table), I highly recommend an HVLP sprayer and air compressor. They start at $100 up through $1000. I have a PC pancake compressor (not designed for painting, but it works for small projects) and a conversion HVLP gun with different tips and nozzles. The compressor was $200 and the gun w/nozzles was $150. Totally worth it: sprayed finishes go on much smoother and dry faster (because of the thinner coatings). I will try and post some pics this weekend.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Here is a MTM that I built a few years back, the enclosure was 3/4" mdf and I glued on 1/2" oak plywood. This time I tried using Tung oil, just wipe it on and off. I put on 4 coats. The corners are rounded over solid oak wood.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Darren, What was the process of the sprayed Lacquer, they came out great? Was this done using a hvlp gun or just a spray can (buzz bomb) of clear lacquer? Also, did you sand between coats?

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
ktaillon,

I used an HVLP gun and sanded between coats to elmininate high spots and fill the low spots. Just a lot of coats and patience :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
Here are my current speakers. Figured cherry veneer with the same boiled linseed oil finish that Darren described above (Thanks Darren!) and then 8 coats of gloss wipe-on polyurethane. I paid someone else to do the gloss black lacquer finish.

Here's the finished speaker in my living room.

·
2,216 Posts
Mongrel,
Smooth is not as important as flat. 100 grit smooth would be more than enough, provided that there are no high spots and that any low spots are filled.

If you are going to be veneering a lot of panels, I advise you to get a vacuum press. They are not cheap $150 to over $300, but you can apply veneer to two sides at the same time and the glue sets evenly with no bubbles. That's the budget-no-option right way to do it.

You can certainly us a J roller and apply it yourself. I have seen speakers that used that fake vinyl veneer (self-stick) that looked great.

Good luck.

I like this thread -- finishing is definitely the hardest thing to get right on a project and speakers are no exception.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Mongrel,
Smooth is not as important as flat. 100 grit smooth would be more than enough, provided that there are no high spots and that any low spots are filled.

If you are going to be veneering a lot of panels, I advise you to get a vacuum press. They are not cheap $150 to over $300, but you can apply veneer to two sides at the same time and the glue sets evenly with no bubbles. That's the budget-no-option right way to do it.

You can certainly us a J roller and apply it yourself. I have seen speakers that used that fake vinyl veneer (self-stick) that looked great.

Good luck.

I like this thread -- finishing is definitely the hardest thing to get right on a project and speakers are no exception.
Thanks for the quick answer, I'm currently getting everything flat and filled, I will probably use some of the parts express wood veneer, light color as I want to use a black stain with a satin finish, A helper of mine sugested "poping" the wood before staining, which is using a sponge to dampen the wood with water to open up the grain to better absorb the stain, has anyone heard or tried this before?
And man is that a fantastic speaker, beautifull finish and awesome design, very original.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The PE veneer is a bit expensive, IMHO. I buy all of my veneer from Tape-Ease. They have great customer service and great prices.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Re: Veneer glue

I use Titebond II wood glue spread on with a roller onto the cabinet and the veneer. Let the glue dry completely and then use an iron set to "Cotton" to iron it on. The heat reactivates the glue and gives you a hard glue line. The great thing about this is, NO FUMES! So I can veneer inside when it's 95 degrees outside! :) I don't think I'll ever use contact cement again!

There's a pretty simple step-by-step tutorial that I'll post if I can find it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We have a winner. That is definitely the weirdest DIY speaker I have ever seen. And it is gorgeous!!! :D

Great job on the finishing.

If you have any measurements or building pics/notes, please share them.

Oh, and welcome to the Shack!
Yeah, those look awesome. Please describe the veneering and finishing process. I'd love to try the high gloss look with similar veneer.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Hi Ricci,

Thanks! There is not anything I would change. They sound fantastic, IMO. The only way I know to improve them would be to use higher end mids, like scanspeak 4" or 5", which might allow you to cross higher to perhaps a ribbon tweeter. A ribbon might be an imp[rovment because ot the limited vertical dispersion, which could be a plus with this design, since it would have the potential to reduce the impact of diffraction from the front edges of the baffles for the up and down firing midwoofers.

I live in Bloomington.
By the campus eh?

How many hours do you estimate that you have in those? Sorry to bombard you with questions. Great job on this finish and uniqueness. I would love to listen to them sometime.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts