Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on this but it didn't yield anything. I setup a new sound card recently, Steinberg UR28M with my new monitors and wanted to re-measure my room. I also downloaded the Beta 5.01 REW.
When I try to the calibrate the card I get the above error message. I've tried using the ASIO and Java settings. I've increased to buffer to the max and still get this error. Thinking it was a card issue I grabbed another card I have just to check. Same result. I used different USB and TS cable's. I have calibrated and measured in the past using another card that I no longer have and the older version of REW. It too was USB.
What am i doing wrong now?

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
qbury said:
What am i doing wrong now?
> You should post a screen capture of the "failing" soundcard calibration in question .

> The greatest likelihood ( of what you are doing wrong ) is that you're "monitoring the input signal" ( via a soft-patch program for your soundcards ) and therefore creating a signal feedback loop ( of input, back into output ) .
> A feedback situation like this, is a "no-no" when running any data-aquisition software ( not just REW ) . The resulting comb-filtering ( of adding input to output ) can trigger the warning window that you saw .

> OTOH ( from what I have observed here ) , the same warning that you speak-of , can also seem to occur under specific circumstances ( resulting in a "false-positive" warning ). One such scenario is when a devices response is sufficiently truncated ( ie; having a faster than predicted roll-off ) in the lower or higher frequency ranges .
> Some Soundcards' pre-amps fail this test ( of acceptable linearity up to 1/2 the choosen sampling rate ) resulting in the "warning" window getting flashed to the user .

:sn:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts