Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I'm trying to get a calibration going with calMAN v.4. that a friend let me borrow, I guess its the professional version. He said its an easy walkthrough and I'd be done in less than an hour. Five and a half hrs later, I'm stumped.

My tv is a sony bravia KDL-46v5100 and a eye one display 2 meter, but its an older one, sold by Pantone, and has 'greytag mcbeth' on the front of it. The TV is hooked up to the HDMI 1, PC hooked up to HDMI 4. Blu ray player is BDP-S360. Everything is hooked up through my Denon AVR.

I dont have a laptop so I installed it onto my win 7 box and hooked it up to the tv using an HDMI cable and got a display on the tv from the pc. Went through the introduction. It showed a simulated meter at first but in the dropdown menu my meter is there but is colored red but allows me to choose it.
Next I go to the source settings and choose AVS calibration blu ray disk 1.3 but I have v. 2.1 and choose sony blu ray players for source. Next is meter menu, it says no initialisation is required for this meter.

So i clicked the green 'standard_dcc' workflow. In my profile it goes back to generic meter and I have to pick my meter again only now its not red, its just normal white text. and AVS calibration blu ray is chosen as source.

So I do the read on RGB, thats done, when I get to the brighness settings/contrast screens it says to click the lower right to bring up patterns but it never does on either screen. If I select 'prompt for pattern change' it prompts to bring up a 70% greyscale from the blu ray disc but I have to switch inputs on the TV to get one. Getting to the luminance screen, it says to adjust the backlight while reading to see where to set but it never changes, just stays at 29.xxx. Its supposed to be between 30-40L for movie viewing.

I got to gamma point, that works, but the strange part is AT NO TIME during this calibration do I use the meter I have. Granted my TV is not the newest or most advanced but every video i've seen on youtube shows a meter placed on the screen doing its thing, and also how am I supposed to get the patterns up from the blu ray player when its connected to another HDMI input? Basically what I'm doing is calibrating the HDMI 4 input, not the HDMI 1 input used by the TV.

Is it strange for it to NOT use my meter? This is very confusing!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Your post is a little confusing and you seem to be lost but let me see if I can help.
1. Your PC does not need to be hooked up to your tv or are you using the tv as the PC monior? YOu need to have Calman on a separate monitor than the one you are calibrating.
2. Switch the display your are calibrating to the input that the BR test signals are coming in on.
3. Put your meter on the display screen.
4. For source you should select "optical Player". I don't see where there is a selection for sony blue ray player. Now you manually select each pattern that you want. Unless you have the uirt in which case it will be automatic for pattern changes.

If you didn't have the meter on the screen you never took any readings. Try these few suggestions and see what happens.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, I think that's where I'm messing up. I'm not sure how to hook it up and get started. My friend didn't fill me in, he just said install it and it's so easy a caveman can do it...lol.
I'll have to call him and get more info or just use HCFR I guess.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Plug the usb cable of your meter into your PC.
Switch the input of your tv to HDMI(your BR player).
Run your calibration software on your pc and view it on your pc monitor not the display you are calibrating.
Start calibrating.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plug the usb cable of your meter into your PC.
Switch the input of your tv to HDMI(your BR player).
Run your calibration software on your pc and view it on your pc monitor not the display you are calibrating.
Start calibrating.
Wow. I feel like a dunce. So am I not hooking up my pc to the tv at all, correct?
So is there anything I am hooking up to the tv at all other than the HDMI cable?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
The PC runs the software to control the meter, capture the data from the meter, and do the analysis and data presentation. Unless you are using the PC to generate test signals it does not need to connect to the display. Your Blu Ray player will provide the test signals.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Have you looked over the guide here at all? There's even a pdf version attached so you can download it and print it out if need be.

Maybe I should cover more of the basic set up part of video calibration. :ponder:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you looked over the guide here at all? There's even a pdf version attached so you can download it and print it out if need be.

Maybe I should cover more of the basic set up part of video calibration. :ponder:
I think thats where I'm getting stuck is the basic hookup of everything.

I did read that link but it never went into exactly how everything is hooked up, just what was needed.

Let me know if this is correct.

I will be using a desktop pc as I dont have a laptop.

At not time is the PC plugged into the TV via HDMI, or VGA input.
Meter plugged into PC that software is on.
Meter is draped over tv to take measurements.
When software is asking to take measurements, I use the blu ray player with the patterns on it.
Calibrate.

Is that it, is there anything else that I would need to do?

Thanks for the help guys, I cant believe something so simple stumped me so easily.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
At not time is the PC plugged into the TV via HDMI, or VGA input.
Meter plugged into PC that software is on.
Meter is draped over tv to take measurements.
When software is asking to take measurements, I use the blu ray player with the patterns on it.
Calibrate.

Is that it, is there anything else that I would need to do?

Thanks for the help guys, I cant believe something so simple stumped me so easily.
This looks correct. :T Make sure you set CalMAN to prompt you for pattern changes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
mechman said:
This looks correct. :T Make sure you set CalMAN to prompt you for pattern changes.
Ok I got everything hooked up. It's prompting me for a 75% grayscale pattern that I can't find anywhere on the AVSHD blu ray disk. It's v. 2.1 btw, the only option in calman is to choose v. 1.3 for patterns. Now I'm getting hung up here again.

:( :(

Ok I found it :)

BUT it's asking to decrease red saturation or luminance, does that mean red in the white balance settings?

·
Registered
81 Posts
What screen are you on? What have you done so far?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Go to "settings" in calman. Select source and then select optical player as your source. Don't select avchd 1.3. YOu only use that if you have the uirt which gives calman control to automatically change patterns for you. You are changing patterns manually.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok I used the guide in the link and it helped out a great deal:T

Unfortunately I've come to the conclusion that my tv is def entry level and doesn't calibrate well, at least with my meter which I found out is 6 yrs old and my numbers are horrible lol. I guess I'm supposed to have the gamut under delta 3 and at least 2 colors are close or at the 10 range and I have no idea how to get them lower or if I even can. I'll try to list the numbers tomorrow.

Is it ok to calibrate during the daytime? I'm always waiting until night and find out it takes all night to get a good calibration.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What screen are you on? What have you done so far?
I got thru the entire calibration. Looks much better but far from perfect. White balance looks good finally but the yellows are far into the red and the cyan is quite a bit off also along with the green, but the white dot is right where it should be in the CIE gamut.

The blue filter settings had me put a R8 hue (!!) along with a 48 in color. So in the guide it says if you don't have blue filter glasses to try to get the colors closest to 0 but that wasn't working too well because the HIGHER I pushed the color the closer to zero it got so that was weird unless I was reading something wrong.

I'll try to post screenshots tomorrow it's 6 am now :dumbcrazy:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sometimes you get what you get. :huh:
Is there a way to get a better adjustment or do you think it's a limitation with the tv?

If I put the hue down to R4 or even to center it helps the yellows quite a bit but then it throws the white off in the center and a little if the reds. Does the color/hue HAVE to match up with the blue glasses? I've been reading that even if it matches up it can be way off. And if I set the hue to zero can the drift be corrected with the white balance? I'm on a mission to get it as accurate as possible whatever it takes. Anyone need a calibration apprentice? :dumbcrazy: lol

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok I got it all calibrated, I tried it a few times to get it as accurate as possible by following the guide above.
My question now is I had to adjust the white balance quite a bit in every direction so am I now going back into contrast/settings and bumping them up again because they took quite a hit. I dialed the brightness up a bit but what was a 53 brightness is now a 58 because all the bars above 12 were completely black and the contrast i didn't have to touch.

I also didn't use the blue filter to adjust color/hue because the yellows were just too red when using them so I used the alternative with the red/cyan settings in the CIE color gamut and got the yellow not so red and the hue down quite a bit.

Any comments welcome, I'm a work in progress :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ok I got it all calibrated, I tried it a few times to get it as accurate as possible by following the guide above.
My question now is I had to adjust the white balance quite a bit in every direction so am I now going back into contrast/settings and bumping them up again because they took quite a hit. I dialed the brightness up a bit but what was a 53 brightness is now a 58 because all the bars above 12 were completely black and the contrast i didn't have to touch.

I also didn't use the blue filter to adjust color/hue because the yellows were just too red when using them so I used the alternative with the red/cyan settings in the CIE color gamut and got the yellow not so red and the hue down quite a bit.

Any comments welcome, I'm a work in progress :D
How about screenshots of your greyscale and gamut charts. YOu also have to remember that with a meter that old you really don't know what you have. Look at the greyscale ramp pattern for colorization and also the gradient ramp.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You always want to go back and double check your brightness and your contrast. Setting those correctly is about 70% of the calibration process.
I raised the brightness some like I said and the contrast a tick but when I went back to check the white balance it was completely out of whack again. Is that normal, do I have to re-adjust the greyscale again to compensate?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.