Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy
I connected my new SVS sub, run my receivers calibration, set all speakers to small and crossover to 80Hz. Everything is working fine. My question is in reference to the settings on the actual sub.
Since I am controlling the subs settings using my receiver, should the gain setting still be set at approximately half or opened up?
Should the low pass setting be maxed or also set at 80Hz?
Thank you.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Go ahead and max it out if not in an lfe input. What is the trim level in the avr? For example -5 or -3? If it's too low, like -10 it might not trigger the auto on until you turn the volume up high, sometimes higher than you'd normally listen to it. I usually shoot for the -5 range. So the farther audyssey sets the trim (negatively) from "0" the the less gain you need on the sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. SVS customer service said it doesn't matter what the settings on the sub are because calibrating the speakers is sufficient. That doesn't make sense to me because 1. the calibration was off on small/large setting and 2. The bass was inadequate. The manual states if I need to adjust the gain to recalibrate. I'll just have to incrementally tweak but it seems by not opening gain and low pass up allows for signals to be impeded.

·
Registered
384 Posts
What receiver do you have? Does it use Audyssey for its room calibration?

If so, then turning up the sub's trim level in the receiver by several dB is appropriate in most circumstances. Audyssey's calibration produces a flat frequency response, but most people prefer one with a slope: the bass louder and the treble quieter.

Audyssey's calibration doesn't set the speakers to be large or small. That's done by code provided by the receiver's manufacturer. Speakers which have a crossover frequency or f3 of about 40 Hz usually get set to be Large, even though that's usually inappropriate.

If bass management is done in a receiver (as it is for most modern A/V systems), then the bass management provided in the subwoofer needs to be disabled, despite what the subwoofer's manual might say. They're often written with the assumption that no bass management is available in the electronics. That's usually the case only if you have a stereo (2.0) preamp or integrated amp.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Thanks for the reply. SVS customer service said it doesn't matter what the settings on the sub are because calibrating the speakers is sufficient. That doesn't make sense to me because 1. the calibration was off on small/large setting and 2. The bass was inadequate. The manual states if I need to adjust the gain to recalibrate. I'll just have to incrementally tweak but it seems by not opening gain and low pass up allows for signals to be impeded.

Not sure what calibrating the speaker is sufficient would mean. Hmm
Leaving the subs XO knob all the way up sets it's internal XO at 120(?). When you do that, and set the avr XO to 80, the sub sees only 80hz and below because that's what the avr is sending it, so as long as the sub is set higher than that there are no conflicting frequencies.
Normally 2 things happen. Audyssey sets speakers to large(or in my case just sets the XO too low, or full range defeating the XO. Not large or small) 2) as selden mentioned, it sets the sub level too low. As he said the goal is flat response but that usually doesn't sound that great. Most guys just run audyssey and go back and change the XO settings, or set speakers to small, and also bump the sub trim where they like it. Usually 3-5db higher than where audyssey sets it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts