Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Joel Barsotti, Joshua Quain, Michael Chen (michael tlv), Ray Coronado (RayJr) and others are here and can answer any questions you may have regarding CalMAN. Feel free to ask them your questions here in this thread.

One of the things you can also do is to use Skype to get real time help with CalMAN. RayJr and Michael provide this support during the evening on weekdays IIRC. Keep in mind that Ray is Pacific time and Michael is Mountain time. They can help you with real time troubleshooting by utilizing Screen Sharing! What is Screen Sharing?

Show people exactly what you're talking about Screen share a presentation over a call and stay in control, show friends and family photos without having to send them - even give gran a quick demo of how you use email, so she can start using it, too.

CalMAN support Skype addresses

calman.help.1
calman.help.2

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I wanted to give my experience using Skype with these guys. I signed on pretty early in the morning CST and sent out a message on Skype to both Ray and Michael. At the time I was not aware of their time constraints/hours, etc. Later that afternoon Michael replied on Skype. We were able to video chat, and we also set it up so he could see my laptop screen and see that the readings/measurements as I made adjustments to the set.

I am extremely green to CalMAN and calibration, but Michael was able to walk me through a lot of different steps to help me better familiarize myself with CalMAN. Of course we used his Professional Revised workflow, and it helped simplify a few things for me. It really boils down to a lot of repetitive use and what the easiest workflow is for each individual. After about an hour, Michael and I took a break. Later that evening Ray rang me back on Skype and we talked a bit as well. Then about 9PM Michael rang back and we continued doing some grayscale and CMS adjustments and measurements.

I have to say that it is really nice to see who you are talking to and for them to be able to see your CalMAN readings as the same time. This was by far one of the best learning experiences for me... and I can promise you, I was totally green to all of this when I started.

Great experience and highly recommended... :T

·
Registered
61 Posts
Re: CalMAN help thread

Awesome! I just ordered Calman4 and the DTP-94 combo from SpectraCal. Free shipping and free autocal too. I'm looking to cal my PRO-60X5FD. I'm hoping to dial in my Elite before and after the teal fix. One question I have, if I'm not happy with the results, can I reset ALL TV settings (via Calman) and start over? I've seen several videos on Calman. Looks real slick! I cannot wait to fire it up.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Awesome! I just ordered Calman4 and the DTP-94 combo from SpectraCal. Free shipping and free autocal too. I'm looking to cal my PRO-60X5FD. I'm hoping to dial in my Elite before and after the teal fix. One question I have, if I'm not happy with the results, can I reset ALL TV settings (via Calman) and start over? I've seen several videos on Calman. Looks real slick! I cannot wait to fire it up.
According to their list, CalMAN does not have DDC with the new Elites, yet. So you'd have to reset the settings on the TV itself. Turbe has ControlCal for the Elites. It looks like you may be able to do this with that. :T

I'd love to hear what you think of the DTP-94 when you get it. That's a meter you don't hear too much about.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

In 4.4.2 Ray? And can he reset everything via CalMAN?

Thanks by the way! You've been a tremendous help for me and for HTS! :T

**Edit** - I even had the press release posted here. I need more coffee.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Turbe has ControlCal for the Elites. It looks like you may be able to do this with that. :T

I'd love to hear what you think of the DTP-94 when you get it. That's a meter you don't hear too much about.
Yes, you can reset each ISFccc Memory with ControlCAL. Currently, all the official Controls are supported but I will be enabling some additional (but optional) "non-official *cough*" Controls to aid Calibrators as I have done with some of the other Models ControlCAL supports (in regards to non-official/hidden/sm tweaks)... :devil:

Hutchinshouse, I am curious why you selected the DTP-94 when the i1Display 3 is available and supported with CalMAN...

·
Registered
61 Posts
^^^^ Truthfully, I thought SpectraCal had them in order of quality. Since the 94 bundle cost a tad more than the i1 bundle, I assumed it must be slightly better. Is the 94 not good enough for my Elite? I'm new at this, I want to be sure I got the right h/w for the job.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I always recommend the EyeOne Pro (Spectro) if someone is going to have only one meter.. however, it's more expensive.

If you want a Colorimeter, I would have went with the i1Display Pro Retail Bundle or OEM i1Display Bundle.. that meter has the latest X-Rite Colorimeter technology.. the DTP-94 is an older design (but IMO a better choice vs the older Display 2 designs). They also have the C6 and I believe they have a table for the Sharp RGBY Displays.

I'm not sure if you ordered it over the phone or not, but I would think that SpectraCal Sales (or all the SpectraCal staff here) would have steered you to the new i1Display series (OEM i1Display, i1Display Pro Retail, SpectraCal C6)...

Joshua is here, if you wanted, I bet he would get you taken care of ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the info.^^^^

I ordered the 94 via the Internet. However, I just got off the phone with SpectraCal. I was able to change my order to the i1Display Pro Retail Bundle. It should ship out tomorrow. Thanks for your help. I've been calibrating my TVs for years via several test discs and blue filters etc. I thought it was time to take it to the next level. Thanks again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ok, I'm using calman 4.5 and i1 pro. When I dial in grayscale on my Sharp Elite 60" my reds still clip. Per the charts red is no higher than blue or green. In fact, my 10 point grayscale looks great. Very flat. Any reason why only red clips when using the S&M clipping pattern? I did confirm the autocal worked and saved the settings just fine. FYI - I'm using a blu-ray disc for the grayscale patterns. Clearly I'm new at this, any help would be great.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah, I tried that. It fixed the clipping, but now my tv is below the luminance spec for a bright room. I'd like to keep the luminance but solve the red clipping. I tried raising the backlight to get my luminance back to spec, it didn't get me all the way back. My contrast was set to 80 for the grayscale run. I can correct the red clipping by dropping contrast to 55. But as mentioned, I loose the ideal bright room luminance. Thank for your help.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah, I tried that. It fixed the clipping, but now my tv is below the luminance spec for a bright room. I'd like to keep the luminance but solve the red clipping. I tried raising the backlight to get my luminance back to spec, it didn't get me all the way back. My contrast was set to 80 for the grayscale run. I can correct the red clipping by dropping contrast to 55. But as mentioned, I loose the ideal bright room luminance. Thank for your help.
It can't be done.

Total luminance is far from the most important thing, get the clipping right and you'll have optimized the capability of the TV.

Ideal bright room luminance is a myth anyway, It's a huge range and if you 4fl under "the minimum" or 10fl over "the max" either would likely look fine.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like Joel beat me to it. :T

Remember the three rules of setting contrast:

1. No Clipping
  2. No Discoloration
  3. No Eye Fatigue
Numbers thrown out there for what your luminance should be are nothing more than guidelines.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts