Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Bose lifestyle 5 receiver just died on me. After little research, I found out its subwoofer (acoustimass module) can not work with any other non-bose systems. So now it is completely useless, unless I get another bose receiver. But I really want to start setting up my own home theater system rather than using HTIB.

My question is whether it is possible or safe to use its jewel cube speakers and connect it to Denon AV receiver?
Will ohms and power ratings match?

Denon AVR-S500BT : http://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/avreceiversht/avrs500bt

I know a lot of people says not worth using bose speakers. Currently, I am under limited budget, so I figure I will use bose speakers until I get a decent set of speakers from different brand. And I plan to build my own subwoofer with the help from this community. :help:

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Yes, I believe you can hook them up to a regular receiver. Probably not the best idea as they will likely not last very long. I also doubt that you could set the crossover high enough to protect them. These speakers are designed to work only with the Bose bass module, I have my doubts as to just how much sound they will produce but, If you have no plans to replace the faulty Bose bass module, well then you have nothing to lose by trying to hook these speakers up to a receiver.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Please post a link to the exact Bose system you have.
Some of the acoustimass modules will connect to a standard AVR.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like I said, I will not use bass module anymore. I am ditching it. But I am looking to use 5 jewel cube speakers alone, connecting them directly to denon receiver.

Bose lifestyle 5. Look it up online. Not much to it.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Yes you can use them. You'll probably have s gaping hole in your mid-bass because of the limitations of the speakers, but it will work. For now place your new sub as close to the TV as you can to minimize the lacking mids.

You may need to do some splicing&research to make sure the speakers are in phase if your speakers plugged in with rca tips.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
How tight is your budget? You could pick up a refurbished avr from accessories4less.com. eBay your jewel cubes and pick up an entry level set of satellites that would hold you over much better than the cubes. The biggest problem they have is they're listed as having a freq response starting at 200hz. (Probably generous too) The acoustimass module fills in down to maybe 45hz? Big hole without it. You could cut the plugs off and wire them as suggested, but I don't know if you can crossover at 200hz(wouldn't want to either). The denon will have those cubes puking the drivers out in no time. They are 8ohm, so no prob there, but it's little better than wiring up some tweeters. I'd start at A4L to find an avr and then revisit your budget. Might even find a sub with a speaker package to ease the pain til you finish the diy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts