Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read so much I can't figure it out. I have Winisd, and I enter all the stuff. I see the box it suggests, but then I look at real projects and none of the enclosures look like what Winisd or any of the plans online look like.

Finally, I keep reading about making a 2-4^3 box. Can I just make a 3^3ft box and it work correctly?

Sorry for being so simplistic, but I'm getting overwhelmed by all the information. Thanks.:dontknow:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Depends on whether you are talking about sealed or ported boxes. sealed boxes can be smaller but take more power to get volume, ported boxes are usually larger, you have to consider the port size/tuning and port air speed to make it work correctly. Depends on the driver you want to use also, there are proven desigs out there like the Marty subs at avs you should look into. Give people the details of your project and you will get help...driver, amp, size limitations etc

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm trying to build a 10" home theater subwoofer. I was looking at Parts Express, http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dcs255-4-10-classic-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-202

I put in everything in WinISD, using the tutorial on HTS. Says the calculations are wrong. I've done it on other drivers and they produce no graph. I'm sure it is me. I have no doubt. But I have tried to do exactly like the tutorial said.

The PE page has for the cabinet size (is that the enclosure?):

Sealed Volume0.3 ft.³Sealed F378 Hz
Vented Volume0.75 ft.³Vented F347 Hz

But that is not really low enough Hz, and it contradicts the Frequency Response above it 31-200hz.

Maybe someone can help me with this one driver, and I can learn and repeat on others :). Please.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Below is the WinISD simulation for the Dayton Audio DCS255-4 10" in 0.6 cu ft sealed (blue) and 1 cu ft ported (green)

Dayton Audio DCS255-4 10.PNG

You also need to allow for the space taken up by the driver and the port when designing it so it will be closer to 2+ cu ft depending on the type of port used.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you attach the .wdr file, so I can see what I entered wrong?

That doesn't look like too good a sub, does it? It his negative SPL readings.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Can you attach the .wdr file, so I can see what I entered wrong?

That doesn't look like too good a sub, does it? It his negative SPL readings.
The graph shows the frequency response predicted by WinISD, not SPL.

I have tried inputting the parameters as per the help file but still get the "driver fails consistency" error.
However it still works ok and gives results as per their website.

View attachment Dayton Audio DCS255-4.wdr

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm dumb and thanks for the help.

I'm looking at it and I put in for the signal 100. It calculated SPL is 86.9db at 20Hz. The frequency response is 31Hz. So does this mean that WinISD keep calculating on down to zero, even though I could never get below 31Hz (I show 95db at 31Hz)?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts