Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,
I already have this mic and was wondering if it would be at least as good as some of the $100 or less options like the behringer ECM 8000, nady CM100, or the DBX RTA-M for use with the REW software.

Also, what would be the recommended amount of bass traps in a small bedroom studio 10 x 12 ?
I have 2 already and was thinking of getting 2 or 4 more. I've heard you can't have enough bass traps in a small room and was wanting some opinions on that.

And finally, would there be an advantage to putting some acoustic treatment on the ceiling ?
I was thinking of putting some above the speakers and mix position.
Thanks.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
It looks like you mean the AKG C414B-TLII, correct? It looks like a fairly good choice as far as an uncalibrated mic goes, probably better than most. Since it is a pro-grade AKG, the frequency response should be very close to their "typical" published response curve, which is pretty flat. I found one here, which is not on AKG's site, but it looks official.

It is a large-diaphragm mic, so orientation will be more important that with a small-diaphragm measurement mic. For speaker response, on axis. For room response, 45 degrees to 60 degrees upward.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes it's a C414B-TLII. Thanks for the response. I guess I can see what the graphs of the other mics look like and compare from there. I'm just wondering if the coloration of the mic itself would scew the REW tests as opposed to using one of the lower priced but more geared for the "calibration" than the color. Also if it being a larger capsule would make any difference.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
That is a VERY good mic! I've used them for recordings before (not my own, I'd love to own one myself). It has a very flat freq response an is extremely sensitive to pressure changes. I don't see why you can't use it for REW. I've never used one of my large condenser mics with REW, but may just try it in the future, time permiting. I'm curious now. I have some other's from AKG (and other brands), but not at the caliber of the TLII. BTW, that is a standard mic used in some of the finest recording studios - especially for voice.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
yes it's a C414B-TLII. Thanks for the response. I guess I can see what the graphs of the other mics look like and compare from there. I'm just wondering if the coloration of the mic itself would scew the REW tests as opposed to using one of the lower priced but more geared for the "calibration" than the color. Also if it being a larger capsule would make any difference.
I agree with cavchameleon, and would favor the TLII with a home-made generic calibration curve vs. one of the cheap measurement mics with its generic calibration curve. Probably not wise to trust it below 20 Hz, you have to have a calibrated mic for accuracy at very low frequencies. The curve linked to above actually cuts off at 50 Hz, but you've probably OK down to 20 Hz.

Large diameter gives more HF attenuation off-axis, so orientation matters more, but that is not a deal killer.

Edit: I would create a REW mic calibration curve from the published curve, just hit a dozen or so main points through the mids and highs range and you'll be very close.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the great advice and direction !
I'm going to focus on bass traps now and consider the akg mic a good, useable choice.
It wouldn't be a bad thing to have a room tuned to nice sounding microphone.
I've found that akg mic to be able to handle harsher voices, tambourine, and harmonica quite well compared to some other mic choices.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
One more thought - the TLII is a good choice for a start since you have it on hand, but if you have serious room & speaker tuning to do, there is no substitute for an individually-calibrated measurement microphone, when budget allows. Error is smaller, calibration goes down to 5 Hz, small diaphragm gives near-ideal omnidirectionality, etc. The TLII beats an uncalibrated mic, but a properly calibrated measurement mic is ultimately the better choice. I did not make that clear before.

Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
then my next question would be , which of the three choices would you pick considering accuracy, build quality, etc. behringer ECM 8000, nady CM100, or the DBX RTA-M for use with the REW software.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
another question, would it be better to put bass traps floor to ceiling with no space between them or center them , space them, or have space at the top or bottom ? Say for example that each trap was 23" tall.

·
Super Moderator
9,310 Posts

then my next question would be , which of the three choices would you pick considering accuracy, build quality, etc. behringer ECM 8000, nady CM100, or the DBX RTA-M for use with the REW software.
Get in touch with Herb at Cross Spectrum for an answer to that, but it’s hard to beat the ECM8000 or EMM6 for bang for the calibrated buck. But as AudiocRaver noted, you really only require a calibrated mic if you’re in need of dead-accurate frequency response measurements. It sounds from your opening post like you’re mainly interested in acoustical measurements for the purpose of adding treatments. For that, dead-on accuracy isn’t required. This post tells how to create a calibration file for REW using a published frequency response graph.

another question, would it be better to put bass traps floor to ceiling with no space between them or center them , space them, or have space at the top or bottom ? Say for example that each trap was 23" tall.
That's a question best asked at our Acoustics Forum.

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.