Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
It looks like you mean the AKG C414B-TLII, correct? It looks like a fairly good choice as far as an uncalibrated mic goes, probably better than most. Since it is a pro-grade AKG, the frequency response should be very close to their "typical" published response curve, which is pretty flat. I found one here, which is not on AKG's site, but it looks official.

It is a large-diaphragm mic, so orientation will be more important that with a small-diaphragm measurement mic. For speaker response, on axis. For room response, 45 degrees to 60 degrees upward.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
yes it's a C414B-TLII. Thanks for the response. I guess I can see what the graphs of the other mics look like and compare from there. I'm just wondering if the coloration of the mic itself would scew the REW tests as opposed to using one of the lower priced but more geared for the "calibration" than the color. Also if it being a larger capsule would make any difference.
I agree with cavchameleon, and would favor the TLII with a home-made generic calibration curve vs. one of the cheap measurement mics with its generic calibration curve. Probably not wise to trust it below 20 Hz, you have to have a calibrated mic for accuracy at very low frequencies. The curve linked to above actually cuts off at 50 Hz, but you've probably OK down to 20 Hz.

Large diameter gives more HF attenuation off-axis, so orientation matters more, but that is not a deal killer.

Edit: I would create a REW mic calibration curve from the published curve, just hit a dozen or so main points through the mids and highs range and you'll be very close.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
One more thought - the TLII is a good choice for a start since you have it on hand, but if you have serious room & speaker tuning to do, there is no substitute for an individually-calibrated measurement microphone, when budget allows. Error is smaller, calibration goes down to 5 Hz, small diaphragm gives near-ideal omnidirectionality, etc. The TLII beats an uncalibrated mic, but a properly calibrated measurement mic is ultimately the better choice. I did not make that clear before.

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts