Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I have read, they seem to be different shades of colors. Is that correct? If anyone feels like it, please explain.:huh:

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
From what I have read, they seem to be different shades of colors. Is that correct? If anyone feels like it, please explain.:huh:
Different shades of neutral gray. The lower the number, the darker the gray. 0 is of course black.

For screens we rarely go below an N8 shade unless it is a specially designed screen.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cynical2-

Thanks, I missed that sticky.

There were paints and colors mentioned, and I am guessing that Black Widow and Cream & Sugar were "invented" after that thread was made. Are these two colors I mentioned a pretty good upgrade from the one mentioned in the sticky? :scratchhead:

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Yes, Black Widow and Cream&Sugar came later. IMO, both of these mixes would be a step up in performance from a regular One Can Solution (OCS) paint such as Sherwin-Williams Soothing White, True Value Winter Mist or Winter Mountain.

The main "problem" with mixes such as BW and C&S is that they must be mixed by the user at home, which isn't that hard, but if not done correctly can lead to a spotty screen; and since they contain reflective particles they might be a little bit more difficult to roll without leaving roller marks than a paint not having such particles.

Since I always spray my screens and test panels I haven't run into any rolling problems. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:eek:fftopic2: Since you mentioned that, what do you use for your test panels (materials)? :eek:fftopic2:

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I use regular 1/8" hardboard, which is less than $7 a sheet. I cut the 4x8 foot sheet into eight approximate 1x4 foot sections. If you buy your hardboard at Lowe's or Home Depot they will cut it for you.

I then prime the panels with Kilz2 and let that dry at least overnight before spraying with whatever paint or mix I want to test.

A 2x4 or 2 1/2x4 panel would be a better test panel, but I'm cheap.:bigsmile:
So far, any problems with a mix, such as hot-spotting, has shown up using the smaller 1x4 panels.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Ditto... I get a 4x8 sheet and rip it into four 2'x4' panels. I like to have the center of my screen covered and 4'x4' gives a really nice test area.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I don't know where that 2 1/2x4 panel size came from. :dizzy: It made some kind of sense when I wrote it... :dumbcrazy::rofl:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts