Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I downloaded WinlSD and due to being computer illiterate.... I can't get the program to work properly thus asking for some help.

Altering this post......

I was considering hybrid audio Clarus or image dynamics Idmax

I can get a much better deal on hybrid audio thus that is the direction I am leaning. Going to do either 2 or 4 of their 15's. The owner of the company suggested going with a sealed box which he stated is on the large side but that will give me the best lower octave

http://hybrid-audio.com/clarussubs/

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add..... For powering the speakers I am thinking of using a single parasound hca1500 to power two speakers. So each driver should get 300 or so watts of power

If I go with two drivers I would use one amp on each speaker so they should see 600+ watts rms.....

Looking at trying d-sonic amps for my old infinity kappa 8.1's, they have a 1500w version I am thinking of giving a try

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Will this all be used for car audio or home?

Are you thinking of ported or sealed also?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry..... Forgot to add its for my home setup

SQ is my main priority. Presently my pair of mirage subs (from my wife's first marriage) I think sound like thus only get used for movies..... They are very boomy and cannot play low due to only using 8in drivers plus a passive radiator. I want deep and also very tight and accurate

Port or sealed doesn't really matter to me, I can go either way. Guessing due to needing a larger enclosure that if I go the ported route I would stick with a pair of drivers.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Ok so we will shoot for a ported enclosure then. What are your size constraints?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Present speakers are around 42in tall (old infinity kappa 8.1's) so preferably shorter then that :)

I would say probably no more then 8 or so cu ft per box, if a little bit more volume is needed I can see what room I have.

I was debating on possibly incorporating the subs in a new tv stand somehow which would result in the subs being positioned under the tv facing the listener. Don't know if that's a good or bad idea though?

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I haven't..... Thanks for posting the link.... Read through part of the thread and will finish later today.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts

Ported has 3400watts with a 24db/octave 15hz Hpass. The sealed has 3000watts and hits Xmax at 10hz. 8cuft ported verse 3.5 sealed. So with only 600watts to each they wont hit Xmax at all. They dont need a pass at all. All the above simulations are using two 15's in a single ported/sealed cabinet.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks!

I sent the owner of hybrid audio a email earlier today and asked him about using their subs for home theatre. He suggested installing the sub in a box sealed at 2.5 times vas. I think vas is 104L times 2.5 converted to square feet work out to about 6 square feet.

Would you mind modeling that for me? Didn't know if that would improve the curves a bit? Going this route I would use two 15, two parasound hca1500 and two boxes

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
With the dual four ohm specs the woofer only needs to be placed in 1.75cuft for a Q of .7. SO I am not sure why he is wanting it to be in 6cuft. 6cuft would be a Q of .520.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is what the owner of Hybrid Audio told me in his email....

"Yes, we've modeled in large field applications. For true subwoofer,
I'd lean toward 2.5 times the Vas in sealed for C15SW. It's a big
box, but it'll give that bottom octave authority. :)"

So would I be better off going with a pair of 15's in the 8cu ft ported box? Or do a single 15 in a slightly smaller 6 ish cu ft box? Or even doing a pair of 15's in a sealed 8cu ft box.....

I do know that I would prefer looking at a pair of subs per cabnet vs just one :)

Going to talk to a relative next week about buildiing some boxes for me.....

For me to do a DIY sub setup I have to first upgrade my main speakers amp, which I am 90% set on the amplifier I will use. Once that is done I will have my 2 extra parasound amps to use on the subs..... that is until I can afford getting something more powerful to power the subs.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
I will put a model up soon. For a single woofer in a sealed alignment for HT/Music .7 is what you want to aim for cabinet Q. SO that would mean half of Vas for each woofer. So 104liters(Vas) would be fine for two 15's in a sealed cabinet. If you went with 2.5xVas per driver that would be 500liter/17.6cuft cabinet and a Q of .487. That would not sound very good to me in a HT application and definitely lacking for music.

If you wanted a sub solely for HT I would shoot for a .6-.7 alignment. Or if you are stuffing a driver in a small cabinet then try and stay under .84. Now with electronics this can be changed a bit but mechanically it can not.

SO with the recommended 2.5xVas for each woofer this only helps below 40hz. And the subwoofer has a F3 of 45hz and opposed to the smaller cabinet with a F3 42hz.

SO for an ideal cabinet I would shoot for 3-4cuft sealed for a pair of these 15's. If you wanted a ported enclosure I really like the look of 12cuft ported at 18hz. You can go smaller but the response looks great at the size cabinet for a pair of 15's.

Just a matter of selecting a size cabinet you want to go with and a port tuning.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! Greatly appreciate your input! This is all so new to me!

So 12 cu ft is the best..... I will see what I can do room wise for a pair of these boxes. If no room for that large of a box it shouldn't be a problem doing a pair of the 8cu ft you posted the image of earlier. The sealed box at 3-4 cu ft would be a easy fit

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
SO in this simulation I did a 8cuft 20hz ported(grey), a 12cuftported 18hz and a 4cuft sealed. All have 1200watts total for two drivers in a single cabinet. Both ported subs have a Hpass at 15hz. Neither sub hits above 21mm excursion. These subs can take more power than you have available.

But as you can see the sealed is nice for a form factor but the ported puts it to shame.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea quite the different sealed vs ported

And the smaller ported box has more output down to 25 hz or so....

So it looks like I just need to figure out which ported box to go with. Again.... Greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
When you port lower you lose spl above that compared to a high tuned port. Just as you see in the graphs. A cabinet ported at 30hz will have more spl at 30hz and above compared to a cabinet ported at 20hz.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts