Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

can this be considered a TL?

Tags
considered
1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  kryptonitewhite 
#1 ·
so the length is easy enough to figure out, cross sectional area a little tougher, and I'm not even about to start doing horn style....increasing or decreasing cross sectional area.

Compression chambers and such... not a chance.

So what would this do?

It's 18.77 feet long, 1/4 wave of 15.5Hz

thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
by horn style, i was trying to say tapered, but i couldnt think of it... really, i dont know the difference between a horn and a tl that tapers.

also, placing a driver 1/3rd to 1/5th the way in from the closed end, I don't get how the rest of the transmission does anything... I would think it would just echo and eddie and add a mess, and really you just effectively cut off 1/3rd-1/5th and shortened it. this obviousely isn't so, or no one would get them tuned right and had figured that....so can anyone explain to me how placing the driver anywhere between the two ends, the "dead" end still functions?

Thanks!!

#3 ·
I fear TL's, probably becasue i do not understand them, Sealed is simple, ported a little harder and then bendpass but understanding the Maths behind a TL is very hard considering there is not programs like WinISD to help with design. I have always stayed away from TL in home and in the car...

Then again from my understanding a properly designed TL is something special, sorry i cant help you more :no:

Just build ported and sealed boxes

#4 ·
I totally agree with you!! However, i learned sealed, ported, bandpass, and TL by playing... growing up taking speakers out of things and trying diff enclosures ans seeign how it affected it. reading reading and more reading. i dont know jack about tl's, when i was younger I dreamed of making a huge box with nothing but coiled up/folded port. well, i get wavelength, so I'm gonna build the ported box first, then the "TL" later and throw it in and see what it does :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.