·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I am looking at these 2 woofers for a DIY build,

Audiopulse Epic:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-608

13Av.2
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?products_id=554

They are going into this box 12" DIY kit, the dimensions works for me and I am building 2 of them

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_136&products_id=905

If I get the 13Av.2 the box kit is going to be slightly wider but it could be done.

Thanks in advance.
Audiopulse driver are made by TC Sounds. They are the kings of subwoofers and they usually charge like kings. ED has very good subs, but given the choice between TC Sounds and eD I'll go with TC Sounds. Just be prepared for very low distortion. TC Sounds subs have the lowest distortion I've ever heard.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Audiopulse driver are made by TC Sounds. They are the kings of subwoofers and they usually charge like kings. ED has very good subs, but given the choice between TC Sounds and eD I'll go with TC Sounds. Just be prepared for very low distortion. TC Sounds subs have the lowest distortion I've ever heard.
Thank you sir, currently I am currently using one 300W 12" sub from ED, but I can hear I am asking too much out of it during the most demanding movies sequences.
Low distortion is just what I am looking for, and provide these subs with gobs more power comparing to what I have now.

I will also be going with the EP2000 amp to power the 2 TC Sounds/AP Epic woofers. 500w RMS at 4 ohms x 2 channels. The guys at Parts Express told me these will be a good match.

Or by wiring the coils at in parallel run the amp at 2 ohms correct?

EP4000 amp might draw a little too much power, since I am using a bedroom circuit that powers other lights and such on 15amp circult. The fact that it could be a 220V appliance etc.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I just got 2 audiopulse epics from PA, I just have to return one soon since the voice coil wasn't attached to the lead coil
What I plan to do with them is to put them in a 8ft3 box tuned to 20hz, they will be receiving 1000 watts with a total of2 ohm load with a highpass at 20hz.
I am going to be powering them with a Crown XTi 2000 Power Amplifier(which still shocks me from :spend:)
I hope this helped with your decision

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got 2 audiopulse epics from PA, I just have to return one soon since the voice coil wasn't attached to the lead coil
What I plan to do with them is to put them in a 8ft3 box tuned to 20hz, they will be receiving 1000 watts with a total of2 ohm load with a highpass at 20hz.
I am going to be powering them with a Crown XTi 2000 Power Amplifier(which still shocks me from :spend:)
I hope this helped with your decision
Does that mean you are not happy with the quality or should I be concerned about.
Parts Express tech told me the TC sounds version is supposed to be more consistent quality, whatever that means.

My box kit is about 2.5 cu.ft each, 1 woofer each box.

·
Registered
420 Posts
No I love the Audiopulse subwoofers they are unbelievable on how they sound I just cant wait to get them in a box and power them. I definitely recommend audiopulse since they are on sale.
I am pretty sure what they mean by consistent quality is that it has very low distortion as long as you keep it at a certain volume level. Once it starts to reach about 13mm of excursion then it starts to lose its sound quality. But that is still amazing!(sorry if that made no sense i am at my pre calc class right now so im trying to be sneaky lol)
Do you want me to do a winisd graph for you with that box?(if you do just post what you are going to be powering it with and all that good stuff)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sure that would be great, I will be powering it with either the behringer EP2000 or Yamaha amp, but both should give around 500W RMS 4 ohm x 2 channels. The port with be 4" port that is recommended with the kit.

ED was kind enough to try to model this woofer out for me in their program and told me it will give fairly flat response. And should be no port noise.

They did tell me this woofer has less xmax than the current ED woofer I am using (e5.12) 25mm xmax, vs Audio Pulse xmax 22mm. But xmax is not the final say on sound quality is it? I will be also providing the setup with much more power than the 300W plate amp now.

I don't run the sub (soon to be sub(s)) that loud, but I do run a 6db hard curve so it is demanding in some of the movies, as the differential between 30hz and 80hz is 7.4db after EQ.

Here is the current room response. I hope I don't loose anymore low end with the new setup, the only worry is I am running 2 12" woofers each box is smaller than the current single 12" in a bigger box.

Thanks in advance if it all looks good I will order them soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
you going to run a high pass on it?
Im pretty sure ED got it im pretty sure itll be good
you going to be boosting it so itll have a 6db bump on the low end?
Plus with that small of a box it may have a huge slope on it

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh yea, it is integrated with my receiver so only 80hz and lower info will be sent to the sub.
In the above graph I did not apply EQ to anything below 30hz, I just raise the volume so the 20-30 hz hits the target and EQ everything down from there. But my current roll off in the low end isn't particularly great either, ED suggested it might need to be placed better but it is not possible for me to try.
I am hoping with the 2 woofers the coverage will be better. I told them what I needed, more headroom and less distortion.

This person built a box for this same woofer and the graph looks pretty good below 20hz
http://www.danmarx.org/blog/?p=387

REW graph in this link

http://www.danmarx.org/blog/?p=461

·
Registered
420 Posts
ya it looks fairly good, im just a little worried about that 6db boost that your going to raise it with...When I add that to winisd it goes way above its xmax...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't quite understand this stuff, I know it's like playing that lower freq explosion sound as if I turned the receiver 6db louder. OK so that requires like 4x the power as a flat tune by no means easy on the equipment requirement. Would it be possible to take into account that I will have two of them and there should be a 3-6db gain without working the woofers so hard? I would never just run only one of them.

What would be the solution here? Need a more powerful woofer?

·
Registered
420 Posts
with 3db(4db max) of gain at 30hz (im guessing thats where your boosting it)tuned to 23 hz and 2.5 ft3 it will be perfectly fine, I am only modeling one of the subs at 500watts like you said. The highpass is set at 20hz 2nd order(which im assuming is what your amp does lol)
heres the file you can mess with it if you like and start tweeking

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the file.. roughly calculating I think the box is bigger than 2.5 cu ft, I don't know why I kept on saying that number hmm. It should be at least 3.3cu ft (1.0 x 2.2 x 1.5), there is only 1 brace down the center.

I took out the high pass and changed box size and tune fq, and EQ as I am not sure yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ventlength is adjusted from 28 to 16" which is more physically feasable.
this changed the curve quite a bit..

What does the red line mean? sorry I am completely new at this.

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
With the added room youll have to take the boost down to 3db so it wont go over its xmax
Looks like you got a subwoofer to build/buy now:T
everything looks in check! just know that The Audiopulses xmech is about 31mm so if you accidentally go above 22mm its fine!
I still need to return one...parts express doesn't like me :rofl: so they wont send the return form

·
Registered
420 Posts
ventlength is adjusted from 28 to 16" which is more physically feasable.
this changed the curve quite a bit..

What does the red line mean? sorry I am completely new at this.
The red line is where eq is about +/- 0db (try to get the speakers bandwidth closest to that) the bluish purplish color line(sorry colorblind) is the point where it reaches -3db where most speaker companies rate their product at like 25-130hz +/-db but winisd is just a guessing calculation so its not exact...
To be more precise you can graph it like you did with the other speakers and that will show you the true response of the sub
sorry if this made no sense:sweat:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I am going to talk to ED to cut me a custom kit, sneak in a couple more inches to the height and width, to get me to 4.5 cu ft box.

The graph looks better only 2db drop from 30hz to 20hz.

I know the box is a bit small but I didn't realize the cu ft can go up that easily by adjusting "WAF" slightly
:D :D :D

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Do you think you could do one with the ED 13av.2 speaker in my first post.. If only you have time.
I really don't know how to enter those parameters way over my head right now.
(well I think nevermind the numbers on the website probably doesn't work properly in the program)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Let me ask you something, I played with the input Watts and directly changes excursion values.
I really don't think it's going to see 500W RMS of power when actually playing. Either I am not going to play that loud and the amp probably won't deliver that much at all.

Or is it possible I am overpowering the driver... if I put something like 200W I can boost the EQ all I want and is way below red line.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts