Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Want tilted speakers or speakers that will tilt down from the ceiling, 45 degrees, where the lowest part of the ceiling is still no more than 10 inches off the ceiling, and the highest part is maybe 5 inches off the ceiling.

So low depth speakers including after they're tilted (which means height comes into play too). It's for 5.1.4 atmos home theater.

Thanks for the recommendation!

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went the PA route. Paid $92 a pair for 4 sets in 2018. They are $115 now.

Rockville Audio SPG88

View attachment 175012 View attachment 175013
I really like the look of your room. This is sort of the problem though, there are too many routes! I'm sure all ten links I posted, or however many, would do the job, and so would these. But which would do the job 20% better, and which would do it 20% worse, for similar costs, or less costs, etc? Which would do the job better matched with my bedlayer speakers? Usually I can find info on these things for TVs and other gear, but not with these. I think maybe Ive discovered the problem, there are like 20 TV models to choose from, and maybe 20,000 bookshelf speakers, lol!

Still, if anyone can help me figure out the comps, that would go a long way. My question for you is, if you wanted to, could you mount those speakers in the same place, at the same angle, but with the butt of the speaker right up against the wall? I dont want that 3-4 inch gap because my space is already too small.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi there,

if space is as tight as you say, then consider 'add-on modules' to put on top of your existing 5.1 speakers. You point these upwards, so that they point at the ceiling and bounce down to the listeners.

Andrew Jones, well-known speaker designer for KEF, TAD, Pioneer and now Elac, has stated that he prefers this type. I believe it is because they are less prone to being identified as spot sources.

Dolby Atmos® These Elacs would be a good choice.

Don't get the idea that this is a second-best solution. (Googling the topic will point you to the usual 'warfare' and overheated opinions.) Dolby's own Atmos guidelines say they are preferable when the room is not particularly large.

See pg 11 and pg 12.

cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there,

if space is as tight as you say, then consider 'add-on modules' to put on top of your existing 5.1 speakers. You point these upwards, so that they point at the ceiling and bounce down to the listeners.

Andrew Jones, well-known speaker designer for KEF, TAD, Pioneer and now Elac, has stated that he prefers this type. I believe it is because they are less prone to being identified as spot sources.

Dolby Atmos® These Elacs would be a good choice.

Don't get the idea that this is a second-best solution. (Googling the topic will point you to the usual 'warfare' and overheated opinions.) Dolby's own Atmos guidelines say they are preferable when the room is not particularly large.

See pg 11 and pg 12.

cheers
Thanks for the suggestion. Upfiring is not an option in my space. I have the space to put speakers on the ceiling, it's just low ceilings so I need something without a lot of depth, but still good sound. If I buy 10 inch deep speakers, and 10 inch tall, then when I tilt them 45 degrees towards the seating, I guess they part of them would be 15 inches off the ceiling. Now my low celing is 1 foot 3 inches even lower. So I found a lot of options where the size would work, and some of them come with their own mounting hardware. I posted links above. Just trying to figure out which of those is best for my budget and setup (Infinity bed layer speakers), and if there are any others I should be looking at that size.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I really like the look of your room. This is sort of the problem though, there are too many routes! I'm sure all ten links I posted, or however many, would do the job, and so would these. But which would do the job 20% better, and which would do it 20% worse, for similar costs, or less costs, etc? Which would do the job better matched with my bedlayer speakers? Usually I can find info on these things for TVs and other gear, but not with these. I think maybe Ive discovered the problem, there are like 20 TV models to choose from, and maybe 20,000 bookshelf speakers, lol!

Still, if anyone can help me figure out the comps, that would go a long way. My question for you is, if you wanted to, could you mount those speakers in the same place, at the same angle, but with the butt of the speaker right up against the wall? I dont want that 3-4 inch gap because my space is already too small.
I probably could. I could drill more holes into the brackets like I did with a seat lift kit I made for my truck.

f150subs12.jpg
from Handset_20120001160343_120.jpg
f150subs11.jpg
from Handset_20120001165040_119.jpg

16229375693378786084591102411129.jpg

16229376305846456787091694206201.jpg

16229376718541048223357544546176.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts