Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The days of television viewers being bombarded with "ear-splitting" commercials are numbered, Canada's broadcasting regulator announced Tuesday.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) said draft regulations will be published by year's end to spell out that ads can't be louder than TV shows, and Canadian broadcasters will have until next September to comply with the new rules.

More Here

This should put the end to having to always adjust the volume between the shows and comertials as i never found that the auto volume settings really worked well in most TVs.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Good to hear the Canadians are on the same page. We passed the same type of bill last year (check out the article here).

I don't know when it's supposed to go into effect but hopefully soon! Some channels are worse than others but it's very annoying - nothing like sprinting across the room for the remote when a commercial starts!

Edit: It looks like the FCC has until 12/15/11 to make the changes

·
Registered
459 Posts
Great news!

As long as it's not neutered by the time it actually goes into law, that is. (And assuming it actually makes it all the way to a law)

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Did I miss something? I couldn't hear because of the deafening commercial on regular over-the-air tv.

Good news indeed if it goes into effect. Surely most everyone mutes or turns the volume down substantially when it spats out it's 'message' and the commercial then becomes an afterthought, so I never understood the reasoning, but perhaps that's just me?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts