Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using Onkyo 5508 Preamp and Oppo 83 BDP. During Transformers BD DOTM in Dolby TrueHD 7.1 I cannot set THX Ultra 2 processing on the 5508. It is not displayed as a choice. If however I load another BD say in DTS MA HD BD THX Ultra 2 is selectable. It appears to be a conflict between Dolby Truehd and THX Ultra 2. Does anyone have this issue? I have rechecked my setup profiles connections etc and everything appears ok.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
I am using Onkyo 5508 Preamp and Oppo 83 BDP. During Transformers BD DOTM in Dolby TrueHD 7.1 I cannot set THX Ultra 2 processing on the 5508. It is not displayed as a choice. If however I load another BD say in DTS MA HD BD THX Ultra 2 is selectable. It appears to be a conflict between Dolby Truehd and THX Ultra 2. Does anyone have this issue? I have rechecked my setup profiles connections etc and everything appears ok.
As I have the BD and my TX-NR3008 is heavily based off the 5508 or vice versa, I will try it and see what happens. That seems odd. I will report back either later tonight or in the morning.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hmmm, thats an odd one. I know for a fact that my display showed THX U2 with that movie. Could it be a setting in the OPPO?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm, thats an odd one. I know for a fact that my display showed THX U2 with that movie. Could it be a setting in the OPPO?
I was also thinking its an OPPO setting. I will check it again and report back. Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I had to send LPCM instead of bitstream out of my Oppo for my reciever to apply Audyssey to true hd or dts ma audio tracks. Maybe it is the same kind of issue?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the setup again and it appears to be correct. I played a BD Dolby Digital disc and the Onkyo displayed THX Ultra 2 plus available when I cycled through the various thx audio options. I also played BD DTSHD-MA 5.1 and THX Ultra 2 Plus was again available. Ultra 2 Plus is also available in gaming mode. The Ultra 2 plus is not available on the Onkyo when cycling through THX options when a TRUEHD 7.1 disc is playing. Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Is THX ultra 2 Plus not designed to expand a 5.1 mix to 7.1? Dont you want to use THX cinema for a 7.1 mix?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought THX Ultra 2 plus was for rooms greater than 3000 cubic feet and had a distance of more than 12 feet from seat to screen but your right it also expands a 5.1 mix to 7.1 mix. So when playing a 7.1 BD Ultra 2 plus processing is not available as the disc is already encoded in 7.1 audio. After I load a 7.1 disc the Onkyo briefly displays ULtra 2 Plus as my preference then defaults to THX Cinema come to think of it.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tony did you say your receiver does display Ultra 2 Plus when playing the DOTM BD?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Im going to have to check but I know it showed a THX mode of some sort I cant remember what I had as a default any more. I will look tonight for you.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Ok, I tried it to confirm and this is what I get. I see all the 7.1 channel indicators lit up with TruHD and THX logos lit as well. The only THX option I have available to me is THX Cinema (my room is 16'x27' with a 9' ceiling) so plenty big for that mode to work nicely.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My indicators are the same. It is strange that I can use THX Ultra 2 plus when I play a DTS-HD-MA 7.1 disc but not available when I play Dolby TRUEHD 7.1 disc. THX Ultra 2 plus also works if I play Dolby TRUEHD 5.1 disc.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
THX must have had their reason for doing this I wonder if other receiver manufacturers with THX certification have this as well?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I contacted OPPO and they suggested to ask Onkyo, as they are not doing anything to the Bit Stream signal when sending it over HDMI".

I will contact THX and Onkyo to see what they say?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
I too only have available THX Cinema and not Ultra 2 on DSOTM with my 3008. As I always use True HD, I had never noticed it. Interesting.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Jack
Sounds like you, Tony and myself are getting the same result. Now I just want to know why this is happening? I Only have this issue with TruehD 7.1. THX Ultra2 works fine with DTSHDMA 7.1 and TRUEHD 5.1. OPPO have confirmed to me it is not their issue. I am just waiting for a response back from the folks at THX and Onkyo. I will post when I hear from them. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hi Jack
Sounds like you, Tony and myself are getting the same result. Now I just want to know why this is happening? I Only have this issue with TruehD 7.1. THX Ultra2 works fine with DTSHDMA 7.1 and TRUEHD 5.1. OPPO have confirmed to me it is not their issue. I am just waiting for a response back from the folks at THX and Onkyo. I will post when I hear from them. Cheers.
Hello,
I definitely do not think it is an OPPO issue. It is a bummer as the only way to get the Audyssey Flat Curve on an Onkyo is to engage a THX Mode and turn off ReEQ. Otherwise, you are forced to use the Onkyo designed Audyssey Curve. Most brands that offer Audyssey give you the choice of using the Flat Curve.

Also, on earlier Onkyo AVR's with MultEQ XT, it was not possible to have the AVR both decode the Lossless Codecs and preform Audyssey due to a lack of Processing Power. This was the case with pretty much every AVR from about 3-5 years ago. This is why Audyssey would only work when receiving an LPCM Stream as the BDP is handling the decoding.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I prefer the Audyssey Flat Curve vs the Onkyo Curve so I engage a THX mode most of the time.
Why would Onkyo choose a different access route compared to other brands regarding flat curve access?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't believe that any of the DTS-HD-MA 7.1 discs are actually true 7.1 discrete soundtracks(I could be wrong though).There may be a flag on the Dolby TRUEHD 7.1 disc that tells the unit it is a true discrete soundtrack and doesn't allow any 5.1 to 7.1 post processing to take place,since there is no point to it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts