Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a boatload of trouble calibrating the x-fi soundcard. I have followed the instructions in the forums and from others who know how to use REW. I need to get this thing going. Any help would be fantastic.

Thanks,

Robert

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have set the system up with the behringer mic going to a xenyx 802. From there, it is sent to the input of the soundcard via a rca connector (right) -(left )one goes to loop back left output. The rca's are connected to the input via a stereo mini plug. The right output is sent directly to amp-now. I have used the optical out, rca out to processor, and then to just amp. Still getting same crazy calibration

Thanks,

Robert

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Any thoughts?
Yep, remove all the cables.
Uncheck the "Use Left Channel as Calibration Reference".
Click the Right channel button.
Connect a single RCA cable from right channel line-in to right channel line-out.
Run the soundcard calibration routine and save the file. Remove the loopback.
Now use the right channel for the mic and output to the receiver. The left channel remains unused.

brucek

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
And clear the mic cal file (the black line on your plots) while you are checking the soundcard cal, reload the mic cal file afterwards.

John

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And clear the mic cal file (the black line on your plots) while you are checking the soundcard cal, reload the mic cal file afterwards.

John

I appreciate the help. I hope that is the problem with the mic file. It seems so simple now. I need to cal the soundcard before the mic so that the mic is not influencing what is happening. I did that backwards and I hope that is the answer. Each time the graph comes out exactly the same no matter how I do the test.

Thanks,

Robert

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Please tell me that if the mic cal is loaded, it will give inaccurate results. That would explain a lot. I will try again later
The meter/mic soundcard cal file has no effect on the soundcard calibration routine results.

It only has an effect when you are checking the results of the soundcard cal file by doing a loopback Measure once the cal file has been created and saved.

Simply follow the instructions I outlined in my last post.

brucek

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Please tell me I'm close with this.
Perfect.

But you don't have to ask, you can test it by now running a measurement test from 0-20000Hz of the loopback cable itself. If the soundcard cal file is good, then the frequency response of the cable should be flat.

For this test you leave the loopback cable on the right channel. Be sure there is no mic/meter cal and be sure you have saved the soundcard cal file. Then run a Measure.

After you get the flat response, you know you're ready to go, so remove the loopback and use that calibrated right channel for your mic and output to the receiver. The left channel is not used.

brucek

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Great Robert. :T It's all fun and games from here on out. The set-up is the hardest part. The rest is just figuring out how to do things and getting used to it.

Thanks for helping out Bruce and John.. I tried to outline what you told him but I was much less succinct with it. Plus we had about 5 people barking out suggestions.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK. I had everything going great for the last few days, then, a friend of mine disconnected the souncard from the computer while REW was running and it does not work now. The right meter does not go into any of the lighted areas no matter what I do. I recalibrated the soundcard and now it is screwed up again. When I measure the soundcard, the graph is way upon the left side and flattens out as it goes and then drops off. I get sound out and can adjust the sound out, but I do not get any noticable signal on the right meter. I get a graph way down in the db level on the graph, so it must be picking up signal, but the graphs are off and it is not functioning like before the usb cable was removed while REW was running.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Robert

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok. I am getting to the point where you can adjust check the levels for the soundcard with the check levels with the sub tab and get the levels even. When I go to the soundcard 1khz tone, it shows nothing on the right meter. Then, when I measure the soundcard, the meters go crazy and I get the above graph. All because the usb plug was removed and replugged yesterday. It has not worked since. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rlobert

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Check what device is selected as the input in REW. If it is "default", make sure the X-Fi is still shown as the default for audio input in the Windows soundcard control panel.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Uninstall and then reinstall the soundcards software.

brucek
That was my plan, but I cannot believe that unplugging the usb will cause such problems. My friend bought me a new usb drive and was trying to get it to plug in one of the usb ports, but it would not fit. He then pulled the plug on the soundcard to try that socket and it did not fit either. Then it did not work upon reconnecting. I guess that would be the best solution. I will do that in a few hours and see what happens.

Thanks,

Robert

1 - 20 of 47 Posts