Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody,

I am new to REW and this forum. I am seeking help because apparently I am not able to calibrate the internal soundcard of my desktop dual 1.8GHz G5 Mac running OSX 10.5.8. I followed carefully the instructions, quit any other application and internet access, turn off sound effects, but what I get is the following graph. I suspect the problem is (as per the instructions) feedback from input to output of the soundcard, but I don't know where to check its on/off state. I tried, but cannot find it in Sound Preferences nor in Audio MIDI Setup.

Any help will be highly appreciated!

Giuseppe

Attachments

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Doesn't look like you're getting your loopback connection from line-out to line-in. Are you using the correct adapters to break out the stereo left and right line signals so you can loop just the right channel.

brucek

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More info: either the 1kHz soundcard calibration test tone or ANY tone produced by the GENERATOR function does NOT sound like sine waves at all. It's a buzzing sound full of digital effects and interferences. Look like the soundcard is not generating in output what REW says it is. tried all settings in Audio MIDI Setup and all possible levels to no avail. connecting only L or R channel doesn't make any difference.... Can it be that my soundcard is not compatible with REW???

Giuseppe

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I am connecting left-out to left-in AND right-out to right-in. Isn't this correct?
You should be able to leave the left channel disconnected for this. If you do this, make sure you've checked the radio for the right channel under "input selection" on the soundcard tab of the settings window.

Perhaps if you show a screenshot of that 'soundcard" tab on the "settings" window we can verify the standard settings.

PS I'm not familiar with the Mac version, so I apologize if I'm mixing terminology etc...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Brucek, Thanks Greg

I tried to calibrate my laptop, a 2.4 GHz Intel MacBook (Same OS as the desktop), using the same settings and... everything works fine: I get a perfectly reasonable result... so, perhaps an hardware incompatibility. anyway, I can as well use the laptop for measurements. Thanks again!

Giuseppe

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
You may find the laptop is more convenient as well!

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
G5 is PowerPC I think, there is an audio interface problem with REW V4 on PowerPC (byte order swap issue).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes! The G5 is a big-endian processor, while Intels are little-endian. That would easily explain the odd signals and results I am getting on the G5. Thanks a lot for the explanation! Do you know if there is any simple workaround to this problem? Not a big deal, since I can use the Intel laptop anyway. Thanks again,

Giuseppe

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
It is possible to use V3.29 on a PowerPC platform to make the measurements then analyse them in V4, but V3.29 has quite a few display formatting issues under OS X.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts