Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've boiled two home audio systems down. I'm having a hard time choosing between the Philips HTB5544D/F7 and the Panasonic SC-BTT490. I couldn't find review that would compare the two of them side by side. They both are good systems. What would nudge my decision one way or the other?:huh:

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Not sure about about your picks but if you mention your budget someone may offer other ideas for you to consider.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
The Pioneer speakers are available fairly regularly for 50% MSRP.
If going that route monitor Newegg / Amazon and wait it out.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I see that Onkyo is the main suggestion. How is Onkyo better than Philips or Panasonic? Just curious.
Onkyo sells receivers Philips/Panasonic sell htib systems for the most part. You'll get more power, more features, more power, better integration options, more power, and longer life (sometimes), and did I mention more power.

You may also want to look at Denon, Pioneer, Marantz, Yamaha.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I should mention that if you set good audio you'll be getting a better experience and something you'll keep for years to come. Think on the order of 15+ years... unless like most of us you get bitten by the upgrade bug ;)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
If I go for the Fluance AV Series speakers, what receiver/blue ray/3d player would complete this system?
That's the beauty part you get to choose. Read up on these forums and get out to some local AV shops and check out what they have.

Have them show you the interfaces and see what you like. There isn't one answer to your question.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
I see that Onkyo is the main suggestion. How is Onkyo better than Philips or Panasonic? Just curious.
A quick look at the Phillips specs and I see output power is rated at 30% distortion .....
The Onkyo is rated at 1%....
I could go line item by line item but you should get the idea from the one example.

There is nothing particularly wrong with either of the sets you linked to and if that is what you want just pick one of them, there is really not going to be that much difference between the two.
I do not know that the Onkyo sets will sound any better but I personally have a strong preference for the standalone AVR and blu-ray player.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Denon x1000 or x2000
Yamaha RX-A730 or 830, or RX-V575 or 675

Good options in addition to the Onkyo line.

As for blu-ray I'm a fan of the sony BDP-S790 for midrange and oppo for high end. As for entry level you'll really not have much difference between the various players. Best thing you can do is go to a store and see the user interface on the players and pick what you like.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts