Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I previously had everything set up beautifully on my old laptop. I use REW to measure live sound for band concerts. Has been working very nicely.

About a week ago my laptop completely imploded. So I went out and bought a new laptop (Dell E6530). I installed REW, installed ASIO4ALL drivers. I use an ART USB Dual Pre soundcard.

I went through the soundcard calibration process and that seemed to work correctly.

So then I got ready to take a new measurement using the new laptop. But no matter what I do I can't cant the test tones to play through the system. I run the headphone jack from the laptop to a Mackie Mixer and then into my large sound system.

I can play music from the laptop into the sound system so the issue is limited to REW.

I really need to get this going. Can someone help me to possibly understand why I can't seem to get the test tones out of the laptop and into the sound system?

Thanks all ............... Rob

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Are you using the headphone jack on the Dual Pre or on the laptop? If it's the laptop jack and you are using ASIO4All as the driver you need to select both the Dual Pre and the laptop devices so both are available to choose from in REW, to do that you need to have the advanced controls showing (click on the wrench icon in the ASIO4All control panel). Or you could use the jack on the Dual Pre if that's what is selected as the output on REW.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, I set it up like you said. I now have ASIO selected, I have the headphone jack on my laptop selected as output and it's working. But I have the USB Audio selected for my mic (Art Dual Pre) and REW keeps saying there is no input, check my connection. I have a valid connection to a USB jack on the laptop.

Can I get any more help here please as to why I may not be getting mic input through the ART USB Dual Pre? I am getting frustrated because I had all this working great on my old laptop and now I can't seem to get it stable on the new laptop.

Help please? Thanks all .............. Rob

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Can you post screenshots of the ASIO4All control panel and the REW soundcard preferences? When you say REW says there is no input, is the message that the input is too low? What input level shows on the meters? Do the meters respond if you tap the mic?

Here are another couple of threads form people using the dual pre, though they used it for both input and output rather than splitting that across two devices:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/56379-getting-started-art-usb-dual-pre.html
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/64917-art-usb-dual-pre-calibration.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For some strange reason it has now started working properly. I don't know why it didn't before or why it is now.

At any rate, is there a way to use a method other than sine wave sweep for measurement? I want to see what result I would get if I used pink noise instead of sine wave sweep but I can't figure out how to do that. Is it possible?

By the way thanks very much for responding to my request for help. I don't think I would have ever gotten the sweep signal out to the PA system without your help :)

Rob

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
We're here to help :)

You can use pink noise with the RTA. Use the 'Pink PN' signal in the REW generator and set up the RTA controls with Rectangular window and, for fastest updates (e.g. if looking at the effect of moving listening position) No averaging. RTA results can be saved as measurements using the Save button but they are frequency responses only, so no impulse, waterfall or decay plots.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts