Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ways, as I delve farther and farther into the world of DIY projector screens I read in the sticky about the wood sates or aluminum square tubing. I was wondering what you guys thought of these canvas stretcher bars. They are pre-machined and go together real quick and easy. These can also be found at local art stores too. Mileage will very with the length though.

I have no affiliation with this company its just that this site had the best variety and what not.

Linky

eb

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Any ways, as I delve farther and farther into the world of DIY projector screens I read in the sticky about the wood sates or aluminum square tubing. I was wondering what you guys thought of these canvas stretcher bars. They are pre-machined and go together real quick and easy. These can also be found at local art stores too. Mileage will very with the length though.

I have no affiliation with this company its just that this site had the best variety and what not.

Linky

eb
eb, I've heard people talk about the possibility of using them...but don't personally know of anyone that's done it. The context that I've heard them discussed was for either building a DIY screen using canvas, or for mounting pj material. I don't see why they wouldn't work well for those uses...maybe someone else has direct knowledge.

Are you thinking of using the material from the bundled screen you mentioned in the other thread and then making it into a fixed frame screen?

EDIT: Nevermind, I should try reading the title of your thread...:rofl: You are thinking of using them for laminate. I think they'd work well for that purpose, as long as you can get the length you need at a reasonable cost. I used man-made "pressboard-like" window casements from Lowe's and wrapped them in velvet for my frame.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
The stretcher bars are excellent borders/support systems. They are a bit more expensive though which is most likely what has made people shy away from them, but when you look at the cost of commercial screens they are a drop in the bucket.

For a basic border, there are less expensive options, my border was under $30 including the material to cover the poplar. If I had to build a frame with cross supports to hold canvas or BOC, or even a substrate, the stretcher bar option is very viable.

Frames and borders are an area I would like to see some focus on. I truly believe we have our grays and whites and there is no need to keep reinventing the wheel in that area, so it makes sense to improve the other areas. Yes we can work on better advanced screens and are, but basic screens are pretty much researched to death and all I am saying is we can spend our time on more productive things. Make sense? ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cynical2:

I was going to with a laminate screen. I would not bother converting a flexible screen into a fixed screen. I believe the effort of going the laminate route would be the same if not less.

I was attracted to them as they are ready to go. I won't have tools at my new place which is another factor. I'd shop at like Pearl Art Center or some place as I hope it would be cheaper. I think those online prices reflect the added cost of shipping so long in length. Hrmmm...

I'll have to visit an art store tomorrow and figure it out.

eb

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
cynical2:

I was going to with a laminate screen. I would not bother converting a flexible screen into a fixed screen. I believe the effort of going the laminate route would be the same if not less.

I was attracted to them as they are ready to go. I won't have tools at my new place which is another factor. I'd shop at like Pearl Art Center or some place as I hope it would be cheaper. I think those online prices reflect the added cost of shipping so long in length. Hrmmm...

I'll have to visit an art store tomorrow and figure it out.

eb
Yeah, sorry. I was editing my post when you posted this.

Let us know what you find out for prices. I agree with Bill...this is an area that could use more attention.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the biggest factor is the size of the frame that we want. If Designer White is as good as people say it is then spending the money for the canvas stretchers might be worth it. Especially if you can find them on sale. That link I provided above has one type on sale: a 96" stretcher bar is about $17 the 54" is about $9 and a cross brace is about $10.

But, quality control is a concern of mine. And, longevity of how straight those bars will be.

eb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts