Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am still in the planning stage for my theater.

I'm working within a budget, so I have to stay within certain monetary limits for each component of the theater.

I have been looking for a raw 12" woofer to use as a passive subwoofer for my home theater setup. I used speakerboxlite to model virtual enclosures for over two dozen 'house speaker' woofers sold on various sites. For the money I can afford to spend, none of them really impressed me.

Then I came across the Pioneer TS-A300D4. It's a car audio woofer, but it's DVC, so I can wire it to am 8-ohm load (which is good for my Insignia 100w x 2 amp). From what I see in my modeling program, the Pioneer should really give me the lows that I need. In a 5 cubic foot box, it will play down to 18Hz, in addition to giving a nice +3dB bump at 33Hz. However, it seems like it's not very efficient. The Pioneer sheet lists it at 77dB at 1w/M. My idea is to run two of these subs, in separate enclosures, each powered by a 100w channel on my Insignia receiver.

Do you think the woofer(s) will perform well in a home environment? Or is there something different about the way signal flows from a home amplifier vs.a 12V DC amp.... which would make the woofer excel in a mobile environment , but turn it into a dog in the home?

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Old thread, you still around?

There's no reason that it won't work well and sound good. Two 5cuft boxes is huge though. However, that's not the best amplifier setup for subwoofer duty. You'd be better off with a PA amp or subwoofer plate amp or something else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. I am still in the planning stage for my theater.

I'm working within a budget, so I have to stay within certain monetary limits for each component of the theater.

I have been looking for a raw 12" woofer to use as a passive subwoofer for my home theater setup. I used speakerboxlite to model virtual enclosures for over two dozen 'house speaker' woofers sold on various sites. For the money I can afford to spend, none of them really impressed me.

Then I came across the Echo GT-225. It's a car audio woofer, but it's DVC, so I can wire it to am 8-ohm load (which is good for my Insignia 100w x 2 amp). From what I see in my modeling program, the Pioneer should really give me the lows that I need. In a 5 cubic foot box, it will play down to 18Hz, in addition to giving a nice +3dB bump at 33Hz. However, it seems like it's not very efficient. The Pioneer sheet lists it at 77dB at 1w/M. My idea is to run two of these subs, in separate enclosures, each powered by a 100w channel on my Insignia receiver.

Do you think the woofer(s) will perform well in a home environment? Or is there something different about the way signal flows from a home amplifier vs.a 12V DC amp.... which would make the woofer excel in a mobile environment , but turn it into a dog in the home?
I once tried to do this too. Reread all forums seems to me. Searched all sites. Day and night. I tried to do something on my own. But it didn’t give any result, so I dropped the idea. And I advise you too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts