Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Tomorrow I'll pick up my 'new' car. It's got a basic stereo system, but I have plans for it.

There is an infinity (I think) separates up front, and a Pioneer headunit. I'll keep those for now.
I have a DCX2496 on the way for delay, EQ and crossover. I also have a Phoenix Gold X200.4 on the way, and an X600.1 in the pipeline. My plan is to go active crossovers via the DCX.

My original plan was to go with a single RL-p12 in a ported alignment and just tune as low as I can. My primary concern is sound quality, I am not looking for a boombox here. I think the cabin gain is more than enough to get flat into the teens which is what i'm looking for.

The RL-p12 is very expensive now, however. With the current exchange rate I just can't get the p12. I'm looking for alternatives that will get me the same performance for less. The Phoenix Gold RSD12D looks nice and I can get a pair of them for about half the price of a single RL-p12.
Will I regret this? I can shell out the RL-p12 if it really is that much better, but somehow I think I may not get the full benefit in a car environment.

Opinions? Suggestions?

·
Senior Shackster , Platinum Supporter
828 Posts
Have you done some active crossovers before?

I have one CSS 10" ported tune to 28hz with a 300 watt amp and it sounds really good!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I want 12", though. If nothing else then for looks and headroom. :)

I have not done active crossovers before, no. Not in a car, anyway. There's a long way to go before integration becomes an issue. If I can't make it properly I'll use the two channels for midbass.

I have picked up the car, btw, and it turns out there's two sets of separates from LM Labs. Both 6,5" with analog crossovers. I'll see what I can do with those after some damping and rattle hunting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts