Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to use car subwoofer in my home , is it possible ?
&&
Sony XS-GSW121 vs Pioneer TS-SW301 12-Inch subwoofer
Which subwoofer suits best in home ~

Upload Details

1.pioneer driver.jpg

2.pioneer specs.jpg

3. Sony driver.jpg

4.Sony specs.jpg

Thank you

Sent from my m2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes it is totally possible but not Pioneer. You need the authentic "old-school" acoustical properties of a transducer to be able to fully utilize it in home. Pioneer's car subwoofers are primarily intended for cars. It will of course work, maybe you will even like it, but take also into account that Pioneer's car subs are by no means intended for musical quality, rather power and consumption it seems.

Check Stereo Integrity's subwoofers, they are worth your time and money.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply i recently brought Rockford p315d4 to use in home is it ok ?

Sent from my m2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
What I personally think is that this is actually worse pick than the Pioneer. The cone is Polypropylene - I do not enjoy the sound these make as it's unnatural and very colored - you could end up with a monotone bass response. The suspension is small, don't expect to get much from this driver. I have observed such type of drivers exhibit a great loss of linearity when driven from medium to high altitude by some amplifiers, especially class D, you may want to avoid that.

The question now is whether you like the bass it makes. Looking at the lack of specs you're totally blind for the enclosure you'll need to make, but you can also just put it in some 30 - 40 liters sealed cube, downfiring ... That will yield optimum results with this driver.

It is one of those drivers that I told you are suitable only for a car, better yet those Asian full of plastic coupe cars.

Despite this driver being not good either, it is a much more acceptable solution to your needs: https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_68810_Power-Acoustik-GW3-15.html

It features high excursion DVC motor which can be coupled with medium sized ported box or a passive radiator array to give you the low frequency extension you'll need in a home theater alignment.

I myself use a self assembled 14" drivers which feature medium excursion, a little over 2" peak to peak at 600w RMS. These drivers are made from the cheapest possible components, using a cheap Japanese basket, custom sized 3 and 3/4 inch diameter, 6 layer coil driven in a hybrid 20 oz neodymium core and 80 oz barium ferrite shell for a steep overhung motor. The moving parts a.k.a MMS of one driver is 136g using a high-quality fat Foam - double roll surround and a carbon fiber cone.
The results is a high efficiency and efficacy SPL driver which is yet completely musically accurate at 91dB, 1w - 1m.
A single unit in properly tuned enclosure is now responsible for severe cracks in my listening room's walls at 50 - 100w RMS a day for 12 hours a day and a whole summer of tracks banging lower than 20Hz. :)
You need something similar and a driver that is budget oriented and can do similar is this one:
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_46596_NVX-VCW152.html
- It also features all of the required specs that you need to build a proper enclosure for it. That is key of the operation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts