Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Maverick,
The company that makes the software only has/had like 3 people, so support may not be timely. However, someone is obviously working on it, because the most recent update was from only a month ago. Hopefully they will hook you up.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yeah, hopefully... Without a POP or a license code I'm pretty sure I'm out of luck, though. My previous installation had migrated through several PC upgrades and re-installs via a backup drive. Some time ago I decided to let it go, I could always reinstall later if I needed it... Ironic...

·
Registered
43 Posts
FYI: Cara's next release is v3.0. It is, of course, over a year late at this point but supposedly they are getting closer. The new version properly understands things like monopole ribbon speakers, rounded surfaces, multiple CPUs and other system enhancement (probably just mmx optimizations).

I haven't heard anything recently from them though. Might want to ask for yourselves.

The one thing I asked about that would really help is a distributed computation capability. Put a network of a few thousand people together and you could have SERIOUS power to calculate rooms...

BTW: the forums were closed due to spam. I sent many options to the admin on how to help with it, free, but they didn't take me up on the offer. Rather than fight the spam they closed the boards, which I am sure hurt the sales of the application.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
My copy never had a license code or anything. I found my copy, so I'm set.

I usually start out with a very wimple room, just the plain walls and speaker/listener setup. This makes optimization alot faster, and allow you to run at a higher resolution (max rays). I can usually confirm my measurements with CARA, but require pretty high max ray setings. ANd somehow (might be random) I get more accurate results with odd number of max rays. No idea why, could be some algorithm artefact.

Note that the default scaling is linear frequency, so it's represented a bit differently from what we're used to from REW.

I've had my copy a long time, and still use it all the time for myself and clients.

Make sure you model your speakers pretty accurately. I used generic subs and got weird results, but after modelling my sonotubes properly (a tall box, driver in bottom, port on top) I got much more accurate results.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have got my Cara back since new CrossOver makes it work! I tried it many times with wine but it never worked in linux. Do you people know any place where you could get more speaker and furniture models? Any news about new Cara?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all,

Not sure if this thread is still alive, but I just got a copy of CARA 2.2plus (trying to figure it out). I got a license code label stuck inside the CD case, but it wasn't asked for when installing. Running fine on XP in VMWare Fusion on a MacPro.

Does anyone know sources for more 3d objects (furnishings) and especially, absorption coefficients vs frequency for other materials? I'm specifically searching to no avail for coeff vs freq for horizontal faux wood blinds, both open and closed, over glass windows. I'll probably get drapes ultimately, but I'm curious about the blinds.

Thanks,

Tom

·
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
They used to have some at the downloads section of the CARA site. I've never used them, though, just the stuff that came by default.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, guys! I need ideal reverberation time curve according to AES "Multichannel surround sound systems and operations" at my CARA.​
How to narrow default ideal curve after i calculate acoustic ambiance? I also tried to create my one ideal curve but it needs some special formula... Please help​

·
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I have never tried that, from what I can tell it is hard-coded.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Cara isn't bad if you have the time to just let it run. The only problem with it is that it uses ray tracing in order to calculate the response of the room. This is fine, but the calculation time is enourmous since you need to factor in one value for every single boundary, as well as pieces of furniture resulting in a calculation time that can take months...literally. As an experiment, I attempted to run a calculation using 8 reflections on a dedicated computer. I decided to stop it after 5 weeks. Yes, it took five weeks just to get that far. Yikes! Minimum calculation value with any accurate results would be 6 in an empty room. Anything over 3 or 4 boundaries results in the increased exponential time factor. Unfortuntely, anything less than 6 for a rectangular room is not accurate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In the hope of re-activating this thread, i would like to add my post. I have used CARA in the past and plan on using it in the future. Therefore, i was hoping to find an active forum for CARA users.
The last post here was 5 years ago, but hope dies last...
Also, it really would be awesome, if there was a v3 of CARA. It desperately needs multiprocessor support :)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts