Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made these over the weekend. I took a 10' length of cat5 for each speaker wire. I removed the twisted pairs from the sheath and threw away the pair with the widest winding spacing and then braided the other three. I separated the white wires from the colored wired and braided them the rest of the way and then put the ends together and used silver solder to finish them off. I ended up with around 8' of cable. Each wire of the pairs is 24awg and using an online calculator I estimate the three together to be 16awg per conductor. My avr puts out 110w per channel at 8ohm and each main is 96db sensitive. Is this ok? Its my first try. I was also going to try making the 6moons white lightning moonshine cables (basically woods extension chord) but thought these might be better.

ForumRunner_20140802_145554.png

ForumRunner_20140802_145615.png

ForumRunner_20140802_145628.png

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hey, there's nothing wrong with wanting to make something your own. Homemade cables look cool too, so I can understand making them. I don't think I will ever venture into that realm, but hey, to each their own; this is supposed to be fun, right?? Nice work :T

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had mistakenly bought some 12ga from amazon that I think is aluminum or something else. It looked like copper but the center strands were not. So I started researching wires and came across all these diy wires that seemednto rival high end speaker wire so I figured what the . These would have to be a step up and since I had a bunch of cat5 lying around... I think they sound great so far, music sounds less compressed for lack of a better term.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts