Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp... it's that time to start planning.

I have a lot of space to work with since this will actually be an addition to the back side of our home.

There use to be a formula for calculating the proper size of a home theater room... anyone recall it?

I would probably like to have something about 16-18' wide by 24-26' deep... somewhere in that range or close to it.

Keeping in mind a 4 recliner section is about 12' wide and a 5 recliner section about 15' wide. Not sure what I will do there yet, just a thought to keep in mind for the width.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
There use to be a formula for calculating the proper size of a home theater room... anyone recall it?

I would probably like to have something about 16-18' wide by 24-26' deep... somewhere in that range or close to it.
I think it was 1:1.6:2.4 (9'x14.5x21.6) :scratch:

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I did a search ....and almost got it right :innocent:

Height Width Length
1.00 1.14 1.39
1.00 1.28 1.54
1.00 1.60 2.33

Table 2: The ideal room has a ratio of height, width, and length similar to one of these
Here is the link to full Article

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They seem to agree with each other.

I used the Room Mode Calculator we have here at the Shack and compared a few sizes.

The far right is what we had in our previous dedicated room... 8.5 x 11.5 x 19.5.

From what I understand, you want the as evenly spaced out as possible, but also the more you have the better.... you do not want them too far spaced out. The first column appears the best.

rmc-1.jpg

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I need to try to figure out a good ratio with 9' height if possible. It seems hard to get that height with enough width and depth.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It will be an addition, so I can do pretty much whatever I want. I was trying to stay in the 9' high x 16-20' wide x 23-27' deep. Somewhere in there. The 10' x 16' x 23.4' may end up having to work, but the height could end up being an issue. I would rather not have to deal with it and probably wouldn't have to if I can go with 9' height.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
24 X 15 looks pretty good to me for a 9' ceiling. That isn't when I am using any specific ratio, just looking at the calculator.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
I will have a better look tonight but have a look at 24 x 21 x 9.
No problems below 150 Hz. Also if you are going for a vaulted ceiling it's harder to predict what that is going to do to the response.

All I do is choose the dimension that i prefer eg width or height and paste it into the spreadsheets here: http://www.acoustics.salford.ac.uk/acoustics_info/room_sizing/room_ratios.xls using the formula. 9.0 =D3*B3 =D3*C3 and then search for likely candidates. (That is with 9.0 in cell D3 and the two formulas in the next two cells)

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
15' would be too narrow... I need 16' and would prefer 17'.

I have read in several studies that multiples of each other is the worst you can do, but plugging in 21 x 24 x 9 does not look too bad... although that is a bit wide and a tad short for what I would like.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I was recommended not to exceed a volume of around 4590 cubic feet. It is a challenge to fill all that space with sound.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I really do like that size... especially the 18' wide.

I will investigate it along with adjusting 4-6" one way or the other on each.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You are up late.

Yeah... I think that will end up being too small and it looks like Chelsea may never leave the house. She's home grown and rooted for some reason... :dontknow: Plus... Angie is none to crazy about all this bass in the great room, and it is worse when you are in the family room, so the great room will probably be bad if subs are in the family room.

With a dedicated room added on to the back side of the garage, entrance from the now back door of the garage, it should really be silent even with the IB system. There will be no openings from the HT attic to our current attic. Access into the attic of the HT room will be from within the equipment room by way of a ladder. The addition will be bricked same brick as the house... as well as roof the same, so it will look like a part of the house.

This way I should be able to do it right... the right size... like I have always wanted. It will be the last big thing I do I hope.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts