Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
My room is a rectangle 14x20 and unfortunately is not dedicated and I must have my projector on the long wall with a couch up against the opposite wall. This means my surrounds will be on my sided not back.

at least yours is ideal for your center seats.
Nothing wrong with having the surrounds on the side walls. That is pretty normal.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I think I am using the terminology "angle" as you are "toe-in". They will be angled/toed in slightly towards the listening position. I suspect they will also be rotated slightly.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have a pipe running up the wall... with a pull wire. I can drill a hole in the ceiling, which will be much mo betta than trying to cut holes.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
I have a pipe running up the wall... with a pull wire. I can drill a hole in the ceiling, which will be much mo betta than trying to cut holes.
And here I was assuming a hillbilly like you would have just duct-taped them to the walls. :R

In all seriousness though, CCC looks awesome. No doubt well worth the effort you've put into it over the years.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
You can always cut a small rectangle to accomodate those electrical boxes. They make them with fold out wings that grip behind the sheetrock (so you dont need a stud). You can mount a faceplate with a bannana receptacle & plug your speaker right in. That would give a bit more working room to pull wire.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I would have to cut thru 5/8" sheetrock, 3/4" plywood, and 1/2" sheetrock... so a very small drill hole that the round jacket speaker wire fits in will work a whole lot easier for me. I'll stick some black heat shrink around the speaker wire and with the black ceiling you'll never know its there.

Uh... yeah... hillbilly style. :bigsmile:

I luv my duct tape too!

·
Premium Member
5,815 Posts
I would have to cut thru 5/8" sheetrock, 3/4" plywood, and 1/2" sheetrock... so a very small drill hole that the round jacket speaker wire fits in will work a whole lot easier for me. I'll stick some black heat shrink around the speaker wire and with the black ceiling you'll never know its there.

Uh... yeah... hillbilly style. :bigsmile:

I luv my duct tape too!
Gaffers tape... :T

·
Registered
32 Posts
Great looking room and now that you've had the SVS Ultra speakers for a few months I'm curious as to your thoughts. Still as happy with them since you first set them up? Do you feel there is room for improvement? Any additional thoughts would be appreciated as I'm auditioning speakers and the Ultras are also on my list. I'm also looking into Ascend Acoustics Towers with the RAAL tweeters and matching Horizon center. For the last 16+ years, I've been using B&W 804 Matrix speakers within my system and I'm finally getting the itch to try something new. It's not a dedicated room, but I do have various panels and traps throughout. Main use is HT, but we do enjoy listening to music; however, my critical listening habits are few and far between watching movies. Room is roughly 17 x 19.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I don't have the SVS speakers any longer (I don't keep anything very long being in the audio business), but I can attest to the fact they are next to the best speakers I have had in my room... only surpassed by the $10K MartinLogan Montis... and then not by very much of a margin. I don't think you will go wrong with them. Plus... if you are in the U.S. you can try them out for 45 days... it's risk free. As with any speaker... for critical music listening, placement is a key factor. Not nearly as critical for movies, and the Ultras are absolutely killer on movies too.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Great looking room and now that you've had the SVS Ultra speakers for a few months I'm curious as to your thoughts. Still as happy with them since you first set them up? Do you feel there is room for improvement? Any additional thoughts would be appreciated as I'm auditioning speakers and the Ultras are also on my list. I'm also looking into Ascend Acoustics Towers with the RAAL tweeters and matching Horizon center. For the last 16+ years, I've been using B&W 804 Matrix speakers within my system and I'm finally getting the itch to try something new. It's not a dedicated room, but I do have various panels and traps throughout. Main use is HT, but we do enjoy listening to music; however, my critical listening habits are few and far between watching movies. Room is roughly 17 x 19.
A...M...A...Z...E...D......

The Ultra system explained in 6 words :)

...until I hear better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the input. I took a look at your build and I have the same sub and projector. :T

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't have the SVS speakers any longer (I don't keep anything very long being in the audio business), but I can attest to the fact they are next to the best speakers I have had in my room... only surpassed by the $10K MartinLogan Montis... and then not by very much of a margin. I don't think you will go wrong with them. Plus... if you are in the U.S. you can try them out for 45 days... it's risk free. As with any speaker... for critical music listening, placement is a key factor. Not nearly as critical for movies, and the Ultras are absolutely killer on movies too.
Curious what you have in there now and if you have ever listened to the Tekton Pendragons.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Right now I have a the MartinLogan ESLs with a Stage X and Motion 12's in the rear.

These Spatial Hologram M1's we have in hear for our amp evaluation event sound pretty good too. As noted... I don't keep anything for very long.

Never have heard the Pendragons... but have heard the Model Lores. They were a bit forward for my liking. As with any speaker, I highly recommend auditioning them in your own room.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, for sure... an in home audition is best, so I was just curious if you heard the Pendragons in your room.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am considering the SVS Ultra Towers and Ultra Center and was wondering if anyone had compared them to the B & W 683 S2 and the Martin Logan Motion 40's.
I've heard the B&Ws and liked them but have never heard the Motion 40s.
The Ultras seem like a lot more speaker than the other two but I've never heard them either.
I have a Marantz SR6005 AVR, 7 x 100 watts.
Any comments and opinions would be much appreciated.

Mark

·
Registered
32 Posts
I haven't heard the ML Motion 40s in my room, but when I auditioned them at a retailer, to my ears, they sounded better than the B&W 600 series within the same room and electronics. I also listened to the B&W CM 10 S2 in that same room with the same electronics and felt it was the best from that particular national retailer. I performed both audio and HT listening with their corresponding matching centers.

To give you some in room feedback, over the course of three of weeks, I auditioned my B&Ws, the SVS Ultra Tower and Center along with the Ascend Acoustic Sierra Towers and Horizon Center with RAAL tweeters. It was a great couple of weeks and my wife participated within the audition process. It might not have been the most scientific of auditions, but I did take the time to situate each speaker in my room, mark the floor with tape and therefore when switching speakers out I had reference marks for placement. I also took Dirac measurements with each trio and saved / applied the filters appropriately so they were properly setup for HT. For audio purposes, I listed in reference stereo to eliminate any tweaking of the speakers via Dirac. I tried to get as even as a playing field as I could... but I'm no pro. :T

Hands down, the Ultra towers had the most bass of the 3 speakers and presented a fuller HT experience, but musically, I felt that my 16+ year old B&Ws and Ascends sounded better. Not saying the SVS were not up to the task, in fact for the money they performed very well. They didn't provide as wide as a sound stage, but again, without the direct comparison, they performed very well. To my ears, the Ascend Horizon center was the the best of the bunch... dynamics and vocally it was fantastic. Unfortunately I had issues with the Sierra Towers. Although they had a wider audio presentation than the B&Ws and seemed more detailed, I just couldn't listen to them for longer than 20mins or so without experiencing hearing discomfort... wife was more sensitive than I. I provided room measurements to Ascend, moved acoustic panels around, tried various speaker placements with different degrees of toe in / toe out, but we couldn't figure it out. So I returned the Ascend trio. Between the SVS and B&Ws, I opted to stick with my B&Ws as there wasn't enough for me to justify the expense of the swap. Again, that being said... if I didn't have the B&Ws I would have kept the SVS Ultras... they do indeed sound very good.

As with all speaker reviews, feedback etc. nothing beats your own ears... so you owe it to yourself to try out the SVS Ultras in your room as SVS gives you an in-home basically no questions asked 45 day trial. My entire experience with SVS was great... I received them quickly and the return was just as fast.

Below are some pictures when I moving them into place and was doing initial side by side listening. I eventually moved them in and out of the room to perform expended listening sessions. In one of the pics you'll see a B&W CM Center 2 S2 as I was toying with the idea of going with B&Ws CM line; however, I ran out of time so I returned it. The small time I had with it, it sounded rather good.

Any questions, feel free to ask...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Luisv thank you very much for your thoughts on the SVS Ultras. It helped with my decision to buy them. I ordered the Ultra Towers and Ultra Center on Thursday and am very excited waiting for delivery on Tuesday l hope.
This sure is a fun hobby, expensive but fun.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Great, glad you found the info helpful. Once they arrive, please post up your opinions / thoughts on them.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts