Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's about time! :sweat: It is finally finished! :jump:

Cedar Creek Cinema Construction Thread.

We can now define new meaning for :hsd: and it's "Cedar Creek Cinema". :bigsmile:

All of the images is this thread are mostly older pics. This room has been updated fifty-eleven times since its creation.

Below is older info, older pics and older equipment that has been updated.

For the most up to date pictures, please visit: http://www.cedarcreekcinema.ws/

With 4 Fi Audio Q18's (Rise of the Eighteens) and a pair of Audiopulse AX15D2 AXIS 15's (Building the Pulse) in a seriously sealed 3800 cubic foot space... what would we expect. :dumbcrazy:

The Pulse subs with the Audiopulse drivers from reside in each front corner. Front speakers are Martin Logan Spire's with the center being a ML Matinee. The Spire's have their own powered woofer that really has remarkable extension down to about 30Hz. The equipment cabinet was built by my local cabinet guy, Steven Ward. Thanks to all the guys in my Equipment Cabinet Design thread for the ideas. The 2.35:1 screen is 125" diagonal.

The equipment consist of the Onkyo 876 Receiver, an Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray player, four Behringer EP2500 amps bridged mono powering the Audiopulse subs and the Fi Riser Q18 subs... each load at 4 ohms. The Panamax units handle all the power protection requirements and switching everything on. The amps cannot be all switched on at the same time or it pops the 20 amp breaker. They draw a nice surge at start up, but never exceed 3-4 amps during use. We will be adding a Dish Network 612 HD DVR where the Adcom 515 is filling in space for now.

Here's a closer look at the Pulse subs. I used a textured finish on these that turned out fairly well. The build project is located in the The Pulse Subs thread.

It is impossible to notice any imperfections in the velvet... or the screws used to hang the covered panels... when the lights are down and the screen is lit. There is zero reflection where the velvet is located, which even extends out 48" on the ceiling from the front wall. I plan to add another 48" between the current panel and the return air duct. While the ceiling is painted flat black, there is still some reflection where the velvet ends. It is not really a distraction, but I know it's there. :sarcasm:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Touring on... the new construction amounted to us tearing out the former Cedar Creek Cinema that occupied half of the garage and using the entire garage for the new HT room. Now we have to use the back door to enter the house. This use to be what we called the side entrance door... even though it has always been on the back of the house, it was on the side of the garage.

As you enter the back door now, we have the cinema hallway where you can enter the house on the right or the HT room on the left. In the hall we have a few of our oldie but goodies hung on the walls with plans to add more.

This Pink Floyd Division Bell poster cost us 10 bucks... the frame, well... it was a LOT more. We picked up that poster back in 93 when we went to the Pink Floyd concert. This is the first time we have actually had any where to hang it. This view is from within the house.

Then we have the entrance into the HT room with double doors. This wall has two 5/8" layers of drywall, a 2x6 blown insulated wall, a 3/4" sheet of plywood, green glue and another 5/8" sheet of drywall. Of course, blocking sub bass is the most difficult part with only what seems like faint thunder in the distance when in other parts of the house or outside.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Entrance into the room is on the side of the riser. Here you get a good look at the carpet we fell in love with since it has all the colors of the room, tan, brown and black. We got it from Town & Country Flooring in Troy, Alabama. Scott and Lana are a couple of crazy folks, just like us, but easy to deal with. We did not want to go back with a solid color, so we opted for this commercial carpet design with 1/4" firm padding. You can also see the lights installed to keep anyone from tripping over or off the riser when it is dark inside.

Here's a shot with the lights on...

Here's another shot of the carpet upholstering... these installers were really good at working all of this out. It literally 4 days to carpet the hallway and this room, with the small bit of tile on the step in the hallway and entrance way. They were very particular about it. Also in this pic is one of the ports to the Fi Riser Eighteens (project thread pending). That is truck bedliner painted on the end of the riser and the side of the riser step... very durable.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the back wall are the Fi Riser Eighteens (4 x Fi Q18's) which Scott at Fi Audio customized for this installation. See the construction thread: Rise of the Eighteens for full construction details. Scott really went out of his way to help me with this install and I appreciate his help. As well... I cannot say enough good about these drivers... they don't move, the house does. :hsd: A pair of Monster Traps from GIK Acoustics flank the back wall. Bryan was very helpful, as always, in helping me figure out what to use in the room initially... we may do some more acoustic treatments later on if we determine they are needed.

Here's a closer up shot of those Fi Riser Eighteens... and the GIK panels... and the Martin Logan Clarity surround speaker...

Those Fi Q18's are serious subs...

We are taking donations to fill up our DVD cases. :sad: It seems I sold a large percentage a while back and we are now down to a handful.

Our very own Wayne Pflughaupt will be happy to see the track lights. When he and his wife visited us a couple of summers ago, the one thing he struggled with was reading the spine of a DVD.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The motorized recliners are from
. Roman is a great fellow to deal with and has the best prices on Berkline Theater recliners that you will find.

These things are so very comfortable... almost too comfortable...

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As noted earlier about the Monster Bass Traps from GIK Acoustics... the side panels are the GIK 242 Bass Traps... all in coffee cloth covering, which just happened to match very nicely. Barbara, who works with me at the office, helped me pick out the light sconces, which worked out really well and were relatively inexpensive.

There is a little history behind the wall color. We had picked out Lyndhurst Timber, a medium tan/stone color. I got about 3/4 of the walls painted with the second coat when I realized it was not drying the same as what was already on there. I was wondering what was up... :scratch: I get to looking at the code on the can and notice it is a few numbers off from the Lyndhurst Timber can I had left over from the first gallon. We only bought one gallon at a time... we wanted to make sure we liked the color before buying the last gallon. Come to find out, when I picked up the last gallon, the girl was matching up some other paint for me (for another part of the house) and it was not a Lowe's paint, so she had to scan the color to try and match it. Well... after she scans it, I hand her the color card for the Lyndhurst Timber and tell her I need a gallon of it as well. I suppose she did not realize it was a Lowe's color and she scanned it also. Sho-nuff, it was not a very good match at all... very distinguishable difference, but I just did not notice until it was on 3/4 of the walls. :duh: This color has no official name, so we just call it the "Wrong" color. We thought the colors turned out really nice in the end anyway and we are happy.

Our last HT room was somewhat plain and we wanted this one to be a little more stylish, but not overkill fancy or anything. We thought maybe adding some crown moulding would suffice, so we looked around and found what we used at Lowe's. The cost was very reasonable and it adds a nice touch to the room, along with the baseboard.

We are extremely pleased with everything, despite running into several hurdles along the way and it taking what seems like forever to get it all done. It just kept dragging out and on and on and on. I felt like I was working my fool head off every minute of the day, every day and every spare moment I had. Ultimately, it paid off with what we really wanted after we teased ourselves with the first HT room we built. I am not sure we could do anything any different or make any changes that could make us any happier with the end result. It sounds awesome and meets or exceeds our every expectation. :T

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Very impressive theatre Sonnie...and I bet it sounds awesome!! :clap:
A perfect set up for Anamorphic projection!!..? :yes: :)

I have to say though, I would not like to be on outside seats in the back row! I think I would come out with a very sore back, with the amount of air those things are pushing!! :bigsmile:

I'm guessing those amps are putting out a lot of heat..Ventilation might be a problem in that cabinet..

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys!

Excuse the newb question - but could you explain the ports in the riser? Thanks! :D
Those ports are what tune the frequency response of the Fi Riser Q18's. I am in the process of getting that build thread completed and will post a link to it soon. The build thread will better explain the design. This would be an LLT design.

I'm guessing those amps are putting out a lot of heat..Ventilation might be a problem in that cabinet..
The back is open, so they get a good air flow with the fans. Fortunately they are just warm to touch after several hours.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol... Don't worry... we have some new stuff you can use on your false teeth so that they don't get shaken out. It worked really well on the wall... and even after some I had accidentally gotten on a board got wet, it was still just as sticky as ever. It's called Green Glue. I can guarantee it will hold those denture in. :T

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sonnie, that has got to be the most well thought out and executed home theater I have ever seen! The dental/crown from Lowe's is a very classy (and classic) touch. You must be getting some serious bass output in there... very impressive, the steps that you took, both to maximize your subs and to contain all that bass within the room. Truly awesome room. Very nice job. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Sonnie, once again you have made me very jealous in a good way. That's just fantastic work, some day if I'm ever am in your area I will have to come for a movie.

Superb job:T

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks again guys... and Steve... just let me know when you are passing thru. We would love to have you visit with us. :T

I plan to have a HT meet, but have not decided on whether to attempt to organize it this Fall or wait until the Spring of next year.

·
Senior Shackster , Platinum Supporter
828 Posts
NICE!!!!!!:T

I need to make a trip to your house:yes:, do I need to bring a helmet so my brain wont shake so much:explode:

VERY VERY nice!!!

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Rodny... and glad you made it home okay!

We can strap you down in one of the seats... no problem. :bigsmile:

1 - 20 of 139 Posts