Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am trying to make sure each individual speaker is looking as good as it can before combining all of them together. I took a measurement of my front, center speaker and this was the response. It looks like it drops off pretty dramatically on the higher end, but I don't know what to expect. Just want to get it sounding as perfect as possible.
What are you opinions on the graph? What else should I measure? Any other suggestions are great also. Thanks.

matteo

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
What SPL meter or mic are you using? Does your receiver have auto room correction?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I am using ECM 8000 mic with an MAudio ext. card, but use a radio shack spl to calibrate. I have the Sherwood R972, which uses the Trinnov EQ. I started messing with the EQ settings. The "natural" setting "gives a modest boost below 200Hz and a slight cut above 10Hz. Looking at the graph, it does cut it (blue-green graph). The green graph is another EQ setting. It doesn't look like they are helping much.

Edit: scratch the above. trying to load the pics, but it is saying they are too large. I have not changed any settings and the first ones loaded fine. I will play around and try to load them. The graphs are flatter, but do cut off more at the higher frequencies.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I would go ahead with the Trinnov EQ as that will correct most of the peaks or dips better than you can do manually unless you have external EQs and amps. Take readings from as many positions as it allows you to to the the best results even if you take more than one reading in the same spot.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should I be concerned about the dip at the top end? Is that fairly normal for a speaker?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I have a feeling that that dip is just the room response and will be corrected once the Trinnov eq is done. Did you have the ECM8000 pointed up or at the speaker?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I was trying to load the Mdat files, not the jpeg files, duh. Anyway, here are some of the graphs in different EQ modes. It is strange, when I try to set the Trinnov for the highest setting, the 3d mapping, I get very little volume out of my speaker. So I can't take measurements using the mode I typically listen to movies in. Weird. I tried different modes like multichannel, NEO and Dolby, but I still get very little volume.
Also, here is a pic of my right speaker for comparison.
The center channel is built into a cabinet behind my sound screen. I have the entire back wall behind the screen covered in insulation.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I have never personally used the Trinnov eq so I dont really know about how it works but they usually fix the output level and it automatically adjusts the level so it is at 75db. are you using the mic that came with the receiver?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Are there any way to label the pics? Here is a pic of my left speaker also
What you have not yet discovered is that, after you attach the image to your message, when you have the cursor inserted in your message text and then click on the paperclip button at the top, it gives you the choice to insert a reference to the attached image at that point in your comments. Then you can create captions like the one in the link Wayne offered.

Bill

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
If you're using our generic cal file for the ECM, it was made with the mic horizontal, not pointed at the ceiling. So In this configuration, it would be natural to see some rolloff of the highs, and each ECM will show this differently. Only other way to correct for this would be to get a cal file custom created for your particular ECM.

Also, is it possible the screen the speaker is behind (if I read this correctly) is rolling off the highs?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I know I loaded a cal file for the mic, not sure which one it is. I took measurements with and without the screen, the ones I posted are without the screen, but they looked almost identical.
I was able to get the full EQ working, not sure what was happening. Here is a full frequency graph. It doesn't look horrible, but still has a high-end roll off. This is with my three mains and sub.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
It would help a little if you would post each plot on the same scale to make comparisons easier.
What speakers are these?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The speakers are Atlantic Technology 8200's. I am using the same model for left, center and right and have the center (L/R speaker) placed vertical. Sorry about the scale change. I wanted to show the entire response and the one from 100-30k just slipped in. It really sounds good, but I have always been a fan of the +3dB on the center channel, and it is just a little quieter, or softer than I typically like. With Trinnov, you can't manually adjust anything if you are using the EQ, at least not that I am aware of. I think if I could make the center a little hotter, I would be very, very happy.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The speakers are Atlantic Technology 8200's. I am using the same model for left, center and right and have the center (L/R speaker) placed vertical. Sorry about the scale change. I wanted to show the entire response and the one from 100-30k just slipped in. It really sounds good, but I have always been a fan of the +3dB on the center channel, and it is just a little quieter, or softer than I typically like. With Trinnov, you can't manually adjust anything if you are using the EQ, at least not that I am aware of. I think if I could make the center a little hotter, I would be very, very happy.
Matteo, I've just manually EQ all my speakers a few days ago. Maybe the reason why you like your center speaker to be a little hotter cuz' of the drop off at 10khz - 20khz region. I'm not familiar with your receiver, but can you turn off the Trinnov EQ and try to manually eq that yourself? You might like how it sounds manually EQ it. I turned off Audyssey on my Marantz receiver and run it manually... I just like it better this way... I can hear the speech much better than with Audyssey on. I use REW to compare the two EQ methods. It shows that my manual EQ is a little flatter than the Audyssey. The only down side is that I have to measure six locations and average them. It's a lot of work but I'm the type of guy that like to tweak my system :) I must have like 50 graphs on that day. Enough blah blah from me... Give it a try, you might like it.

Al,

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
What are your sweep parameters (start, stop, length, etc)? WRT the mic cal, the question really is whether you used our generic one or one that was custom made and came with the mic?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts