Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If the menu does not specify which speakers are for the crossover setting, then you can be confident that it’s a global setting. Does the receiver have EQ that can be applied to each channel individually? If so you can make some adjustments that way.

Regards,
Wayne
The Integra has crossover settings for each speaker, plus a 15 band EQ for each speaker. I think we will be able to make the theater sound even better than it does now. And I thought it was good already!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice home theater system Oleson.
I got several center channel speakers, and got a "Boxy" sound with one of them.
It was a Kef coaxial speaker with a 16 cm diameter main speaker (very close to the diameter of your Klipsch speaker).

I tried to modify it and never succeeded completely.
The issue is that the 16cm speaker has a "Boxy" sound when driven in large configuration (full audio bandwidth).
One solution is to cut the frequency of the center channel with the equalizer (as proposed before in the forum).
A workaround is opening the speaker box and filling it with acoustic damping material, and/or modifying the bass reflex port tuning (reducing the aperture).
Best bass reflex port location is on the front or the side of the speaker (not at the back panel as it will interact with the wall).
Do not forget a good decoupling of the cabinet (damping feet).

Ultimate solution is having smaller diameter speakers: 13cm and 11cm are better suited for the medium according to my various tests.

It is very difficult to have a full bandwidth center channel efficient for all types of sound track.
Good luck with your tests.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I spent yesterday afternoon completely rearranging my theater audio installation. Several items were removed as they were no longer needed, or being used.

The Integra has a very nice menu for setting up your speakers. My wife and I literally took a tape measure, and measured each speaker distance from the "sweet spot" in the seating area.

We then applied the x-over points, with 200 hz being used for the center.

All speakers were then adjusted to the same volume output. I simply used my ears, then went up/down with the volume until it all sounded the same in relative output.

The center was EQ'd with a smooth roll off in the midrange area, around 2500 hz. Just enough to take some of the "edge" off, and allow the Klipsch to work seamlessly with the VMPS Towers. No other speakers were EQ'd, including the rear and side surround Klipsch 81's/61's.

All of this was done manually, without the help of the Audyssey MultEQ XT32.

So far, I am pleased with the results. The center is cleaned up in dialog presence.

On a side note, my NAD T163 is working perfectly now. The remote input is fully functional. If I had known this before, the Integra would not have been purchased. And the NAD is an awesome product. Their thought is music first, and that is my thinking also.

The new Panasonic DMP-UB900 in concert with the Integra DHC-80.3 is a powerful combination. The largest thing that strikes me is the low end impact. Not just car crashes / bomb blasts / special effects, but also the bass lines in recorded music. I would say more defined and with more presence than with the NAD T163 & Panasonic DMP-BD85.

Is all of the $$$ spent worth it? Time will tell. I was considering returning the Integra and putting the NAD back in the setup. The best bang for the buck was the five new Klipsch speakers installed, especially adding the rear left/right surrounds giving us 7.2. We previously had 5.2, never utilizing the 7.2 capability of the T163.

So far, I like it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently replaced my RC-7 center channel and replaced with it with an RF-7 Tower so all 5 surround speakers would be RF-7 Towers. This has helped greatly with Dialogue clearness. I didn't realize it but the Klipsch Center speaker was Tingy on dialogue. The sound improvement has been awesome. Don't know if this is an option for you. I have a Sony 75" Z9D and modified RF-7 Box to fit under TV.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I recently replaced my RC-7 center channel and replaced with it with an RF-7 Tower so all 5 surround speakers would be RF-7 Towers. This has helped greatly with Dialogue clearness. I didn't realize it but the Klipsch Center speaker was Tingy on dialogue. The sound improvement has been awesome. Don't know if this is an option for you. I have a Sony 75" Z9D and modified RF-7 Box to fit under TV.
So far, the dialog has improved. But it is very dependent on the source material. I really did not need to buy the RC-64 II. We had two towers in the center before, set up head-to-head, wired in series (8 ohms).

With the new Integra, they would have been fine, maybe even better the the Klipsch center. The soundstage was to die for!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Update: While watching The Smithsonian Channel last night, the center dialog was a bit unclear, or slightly muddy, on both male and female voices.

When the commercial came on, the voices were bright and crystal clear.

I guess the marketing department knows how to do voices in the studio and engineer the soundtrack to work well!

·
Registered
15 Posts
The center channel dialog boominess might be coming from the sub(s). Many like to run their subs hotter than they should be which boosts the bass from the center channel too much. This will get worse the higher the crossover is set to. So try lowering the center channel crossover to 40Hz or just set the center channel to large. The purists might say you'll loose some low frequency effects coming through the center channel, but the benefits in dialog clarity greatly outweigh any such concerns.

One that's done, you might still have boomy bass and a "shoutiness" on the dialog. This is typical of a center speaker jammed up against the wall or in a cabinet. The boominess can be largely remedied by eq-ing out any peaks in the bass and providing a gentle rolloff from about 80Hz downwards. The "shoutiness" (in my case anyway) was due to a broad peak in the 300Hz to 900Hz range which again, can be eq'd down.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts