Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Senior Shackster , Platinum Supporter
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys !!

I want to know if I build a center channel using the components out of a VR2 tower would it make a diffrence?
I have VR3s mains, VR920 center and VRX surrounds.

I can purchase the parts for the VR2 or buy the complete speaker, either way I have to build the box because the tower is to tall to be place in front of the screen.

I have 24" from the floor to the bottom of the screen.

which way should I build it, like a tower or a center channel?

how wide the box needs to be if I build it like a tower?

THANKS!!!!

VR2
Pipe Bicycle fork Auto part Suspension part Suspension

8 ohms
Frequency Response (3dB)
41Hz-20kHz
Bass Unit
Dual 6-1/2" (165mm) copolymer
Midrange
4-1/2" (115mm)neodymium copolymer
Crossover Frequency
400, 2800Hz
Dimensions (HxWxD)
38 x 9 x 11-1/2" (966 x 229 x 293mm)
Sensitivity (1 watt (2.83v) at 1m)
93dB
Tweeter
1" (25mm) VRH.O.™ anodized aluminum dome with AMD™

My current center speakers is a Boston VR920

Audio equipment Subwoofer Product Electronics Electronic device

Frequency Response (±3dB) 55–20,000Hz
Recommended Amplifier Power 15–250 watts
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
sensitivity [1 watt (2.83v) at 1m] 90dB
Bass Unit dual 51⁄4 x 71⁄2" (135 x 191mm)
Midrange – 31⁄2" (89mm)
Tweeter (metal dome) 1" (25mm)
Crossover Frequency 300, 2,700Hz
Dimensions (HxWxD) 6 3⁄4 x 27 1⁄8 x 10 1⁄4"
(172 x 689 x 261mm)

·
Registered
407 Posts
I don't think I'd do it.

If BA did their job correctly, the crossover in the VR2 is optimized for that baffle size and driver orientation/spacing. Similarly, your VR920 should have been optimized for its orientation.

Using a speaker designed for vertical placement horizontally can sound ok on axis, but moving off to the left or right will generally quickly degrade the quality as you introduce comb filtering and lobing.

-Brent

·
Registered
472 Posts
I want to know if I build a center channel using the components out of a VR2 tower would it make a diffrence?
If it uses better drivers than your current CC and it if uses the same drivers and crossover config of your towers it will be likely be a better voice match with them.
which way should I build it, like a tower or a center channel?
Either way will work but stricltly for looks I would use the same driver layout as the VR920 but the crossover may need tweeking if this is done.
how wide the box needs to be if I build it like a tower?
the width of the box should not be changed much as the crossover has been optimised for that width.iYou can however change the height and depth but keep in mind that the enclosure needs to have the same internal volume if you intend to have the same bass extension as originally intended.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Using a speaker designed for vertical placement horizontally can sound ok on axis, but moving off to the left or right will generally quickly degrade the quality as you introduce comb filtering and lobing.

-Brent
Good points but this is more of an issue when using an MTM that crosses over at 2k ish.If he built it with the tweeter above the mid and placed the woofers close to either side then lobing should not vbe an issue as the woofers crossover to the mids at 400hz.The wider baffle may accentuate the lower mids though.

·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it uses better drivers than your current CC and it if uses the same drivers and crossover config of your towers it will be likely be a better voice match with them.Either way will work but stricltly for looks I would use the same driver layout as the VR920 but the crossover may need tweeking if this is done.the width of the box should not be changed much as the crossover has been optimised for that width.iYou can however change the height and depth but keep in mind that the enclosure needs to have the same internal volume if you intend to have the same bass extension as originally intended.

I understand that I need to build the box with the same air space and I think the drivers will fit vertical just like the tower, It would be deeper but not as tall (24" tall)

The air space its about 1.5 to 1.75 cft, not really sure but I probably be able to get the exact internal dimensions from a tech @ boston or my body Sonnie :bigsmile:

(crossover may need tweaking) How can I do that if I build it like my cc ?

The width is 9", can I go 10" or 11"?

The port its on the rear, so how much room from the port to the wall?

Vertical or horizontal, which one is better?

Thanks!!!:T

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I think it would work as long as you keep the front width the same and the volume for each driver the same by extending the depth.

The question might be can you close the gap from top to bottom without any negative effects.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
If I really wanted to use the VR2 and had to make it fit below 24" I'd look at building an enclosure that was the same volume and width as the stock enclosure but is 24" high and the appropriate depth.

·
Registered
472 Posts
(crossover may need tweaking) How can I do that if I build it like my cc ?
The original crossover was optimised for the 9" baffle width.If you where to configure the the drivers as in the VR920 the width of baffle would be quite a bit wider.This could result in the lower mids and upper bass getting some added boost do to the bigger horizontal surface area.If one was inclined they could try and rebalance the response with a crossover change.However if you where to build the vertical version and placed it very close to the wall behind you would also get the same accentuated lower mid upper bass as well.So positioning in relation to the rear wall will have an affect,maybe even more so than the differences between the horizontal or vertical config.

The port its on the rear, so how much room from the port to the wall?
Atleast the distance equal to the ports diameter.You could also locate the port on a side if you wanted to get it closer to the wall.

Vertical or horizontal, which one is better?
IMO :bigsmile:if it will be placed close to the back wall then I don't think there will be a signifcant difference.If it will be out from the wall 2' or more then the vertical design woiuld be the best bet.

·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The spacing between the drivers.
OK!!

I think the vertical setup its better that way I don't have to fix the crossover.

Do I need to angle the box so the tweeter and mid range be firing at ear level?

What will happen if the bottom driver is close to the floor?

I measure the external dimension just to give me an idea on the air space and is 1.58cft (38 x 9 x 11-1/2" ) if I change it to 22x9x19-1/2 the volume is 1.60 cft.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
If I really wanted to use the VR2 and had to make it fit below 24" I'd look at building an enclosure that was the same volume and width as the stock enclosure but is 24" high and the appropriate depth.
Me, too. No good reason for a horizontal center channel speaker if you can do better.

Kal

1 - 20 of 92 Posts