Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I'm looking at a center speaker to upgrade from my polk audio csia6.
I'm from New Zealand so options over here are limiting.
i see suggestions from forums like these however many of those options are not available anywhere or I am unable to find them.
I also have polk audio rtia7 towers. Rta1 bookshelves. Definitive technology di 5.5r as my in ceiling speakers. svs pb 1000 pro subwoofer.

The one option I have found is the svs prime center and this is the price range I'm looking for. Retail price is 999 nzd

Room dimensions for my future home theater is 4.2 meters long exterior dimension. And 3.6 meter internal width dimension excluding any interior lining. And 2.7 meters high internal excluding lining aswell.

I would like to stick with the same brand for the towers and bookshelves.

My viewing habits are primarily movies and TV series with a small amount of gaming.

The one thing I do not enjoy is the harshness that I've experienced in some cinemas.

Two retailers that I can shop are raplallo and soundhub.

My receiver I will be using is a yamaha rxv 2085.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey guys.

i see suggestions from forums like these however many of those options are not available anywhere or I am unable to find them.
I also have polk audio rtia7 towers. Rta1 bookshelves. Definitive technology di 5.5r as my in ceiling speakers. svs pb 1000 pro subwoofer.

The one option I have found is the svs prime center and this is the price range I'm looking for. Retail price is 999 nzd

Room dimensions for my future home theater is 4.2 meters long exterior dimension. And 3.6 meter internal width dimension excluding any interior lining. And 2.7 meters high internal excluding lining aswell.

My viewing habits are primarily movies and TV series with a small amount of gaming.

The one thing I do not enjoy is the harshness that I've experienced in some cinemas.

Many thanks.
I use a svs prime center in my lounge with matching L&R bookcase speakers, I used to own rapalloav. The sound isnt shrill its quite warm and better than most, however its not going to intergrate well with different brand L&R like you have. In my HT I have PSA speakers and thay are heaps better yet not available in NZ.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hey guys.

Many thanks.
Of the brands you mention, SVS is a reliable neutral accurate choice to move toward. It is a step up from Polk.

The other brands I would consider:

KEF (the Q series appears to be in your price range and is VERY good for the money) KEF Q150 Bookshelf Speaker

ELAC: ELAC Debut Reference Bookshelf Speakers DBR-62 is a good choice but they have nice options for less, as well.

Focal: I see they are available in NZ but nothing on the Rapallo site looks like the ones that I would choose (ie, they don't have the consumer level lines on the web site).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the feedback guys.
I'm still leaning towards the svs prime center as it's got a 3 way design which I'd like to try out. Would this matter much if the seating arrangement is primarily one person centered on the display? I'm thinking maybe not.

Will there be differences when it comes to the speaker drivers. Im concerned that my center have 6.5 inch drivers while the centers I've looked at are only 5.25 inch.
Also with the towers aswell. The svs prime towers have two 6.5 woofers and a 4.5 inch midrange. while my polks have two 7 inch woofers and a 6.5 inch midrange.

I've seen conflicting information where some people claim matching speaker brand for timbre matching is important while other say it's not important. I've also seen one person on another forums site choose svs prime center with their polk s60 towers.

Would anyone have an insight on to the extreme price difference. I see on svs website the prime towers only $599.95 usd while here in New Zealand retail price I assume is $2999 nzd.

Another question I have is how would you hang or mount bookshelves speakers from the ceiling specifically for Dolby atmos and dts x height. I would love to do this in my future home theater room.
My current bedroom I just used in ceiling speakers as I couldn't figure out how to hang my polk rtia 1 from the ceiling.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Three way design is nice for off axis sound quality. That might seem to matter only if there are people sitting off axis. But since you hear more reflected sound than direct sound, and most of that reflected sound is from off axis, it helps when that sound is consistent with the on axis sound.

That being said, the coaxial design of a KEF achieves a similar goal to a three way center.

And the ultimate match is three of the same speakers across the front.

Often, bookshelf speakers can achieve this.

And, usually, bookshelf speakers are a better bet than towers, since 99% of the time you'll be using bass management and don't need the extension of a tower. (The exception to needing a tower is for particularly large rooms, ie, where you are sitting more than 3 or 4 meters from the speakers, in which case sometimes a tower's increased output is helpful.)

Some people don't feel the need to match timbre. Some people think that Taco Bell is just as good as going to Mexico. I am happy for them. We each have a budget, and different standards and needs.

For me, I have found that having the same timbre across the front three speakers makes a notable difference. My ears are much more tolerant of the surround speakers being a little different. Other people find that matching the surrounds is important to them and they can afford to do so. That is great, too.

Finally, you can largely ignore driver size. Pay attention to output capability, frequency response over the relevant range (eg, above 80hz), dispersion. Whether a speaker achieves that with a 5" woofer or a 8" woofer or a dome tweeter or a compression driver, or whatever, is largely irrelevent. What you want is a particular level of PERFORMANCE regardless of how the engineering team achieved that performance. (I'm assuming you want a system that sounds great, and that looks are secondary. I might be wrong. I know and respect a few people who just want to see large sexy tower speakers with tons of large drivers in the front of their room, even if it doesn't sound as good as it could. So if that's the case, I apologize!)

I can't explain NZ pricing, especially for a product that is built in China, which is closer to NZ than the US. A little of it is the exchange rate. A little of it is taxes (which is part of the quoted price in NZ but hidden in the US until later in the purchase process, and even then usually no more than 10% versus 13% in NZ.) [SPOILER="off topic"](At least you have a national healthcare system versus the US where it can cost an individual 20 to 30k per year.)[/SPOILER] But neither of those would seem to explain all of the variance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what about Arendal 1961 center? i see that i can import it to me but the only thing is the shipping fees. and potentially customs fees aswell. also is yamaha rx v2085 enough for it? and other arendal 1961 speakers for a 5,1,4 setup considering they advertise 4 ohms i was thinking of the 1961 bookshelves. 1961 towers. and potentially the 1961 height mounted on the ceiling.
One of the reasons i choose my existing polk speakers was for the wood grain look to it. but yeah im looking for sound quality as the priority and looks second this time round

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys.

I actually finally visited rapallo for once! I was listening to polk reserve r200 bookshelves and I'm now leaning towards the the r400 center and finally the Polk rc-80i in ceiling speakers for Dolby atmos. And a second svs pb 1000 pro.

Seems like a great choice?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
update guys.

I just bought myself a speaker package! 40% off RRP. Polk reserve r300. r200. r600 towers! I have been saving up money and had to borrow a few hundred from family. and its rare for the retailer to have deals on the website too!
even though it wasn't the exact speakers I wanted or the color. the package was too good to pass up!. i would've gone with the r200 bookshelves for front and side surround. and the r400 center if i had the choice!

and its been shipped out on its way so hopefuly tomorrow or Monday!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts