Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i was given a pair of cerwin vega sl-36 bins from a friend that bought an old nightclub.

they are big and old and need an insane amount of power to move them in the current cabinets. When properly powered they just about took the windows out of my living room, i tried them on a yorkville ap4040 bridged down to 2400w @ 8oms continuous. However at a middle and lower end volume range they really don't do much and they dont sound all that clean.

both drivers are in amazing shape and have no rub so i would like to give them a new life, the cabinets may be turned into marshmello roasting firewood.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried an older 18" cerwin vega driver in a smaller cabinet, something that does not require as much power. and hopefully play a little cleaner. I have a mackie plate amp that i could use, its 500w so i could use that or buy something bigger.

i have the specifications and am currently reading through the winisd walk through and attempting to make that work. I guess im just unsure if they will work in anything else since the drivers were designed to be horn loaded. But if anyone has any suggestions or comments i would like to hear them

-------------------------------------------------

Cerwin Vega 189SE Driver Specs:

FS (Hz) 30.5
QTS .227
QES .241
QMS 3.86
VAS (liters) 244
SD (sq m) 1065
RE (Ohms) 5
VDD (ccm) 555
Xmax (mm) 5.2
PE (watts) 400
LE (mh)
EFF (%) 2.8
EBP(Hz) 126.6
Frame Diam 18

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so could either the driver or cabinet be adapted for home theater use at all, or should i just sell them and start over.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
allright thanks, they shouldnt be to hard to get rid of. Is there any good places in Canada to buy a new driver online or am i pretty much stuck with they US?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a few amp choices I have a 500w right now and I have a larger crown pa amp in the basement somewhere. My living room is about 450 square feet with twelve foot ceilings. Box size isn't really an issue as the room is quite large but I would like to be able to move it without a forklift. I'm willing to budget five or six hundred for drivers if that's a workable number.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
I need to know the make and model of the 500w amp as well as the model of the Crown amp. From that we can figure out what combination of sub and amp would be best.

My living room is about 450 square feet
That's a fair size, like 20' x 22', I'm thinking dual 18" subs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im sorry i was wrong its not a crown its a crest, its an FA 1201, (i also have access to another 1201 or a FA 2401 if needed a friend is closing his shop)

the mackie is a 500w plate amp from a powered 1501.
http://www.mackie.com/products/swa1501/

not sure its good for much it will barely budge the 18" Cerwin Vega bin.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The Eminence is geared more towards pro audio, for HT you need low Fs and high Xmax (cone excursion). Mach 5 Audio has a IXL-18 that is perfect for HT and considered the best bang for the buck. There's also the Exodus Audio Maelstrom-X 18 and Tempest-X 15. You can view these subs in the "Subwoofer Database" to give you an idea. The link is in my signature.

Before we get ahead of ourselves, I can't find any specs on the Crest FA 1201. Would you have a link by any chance?

EDIT: found the specs, 1050watts bridged into 4 ohms. I'll figure out some modeling.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
I'm willing to budget five or six hundred for drivers if that's a workable number.
A Pair of Mach5Audio IXL-18's would fit your budget. Each in 10 cu.ft. net volume tuned to 18 hz. Each would be powered by Crest FA 1201, so you'll have to get the other one. You'll also need a hi-pass filter to protect the subs from over excursion, the Reckforn B2 from Creative Sound Solutions would fit the bill.

IXL-18.JPG

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The best info I could find was

8 Ohm 4Ohm 2Ohm Bridged 8Ohm
> Bridged 4Ohm
> FA601 150W 275W ----
> ---
> FA901 280W 350W 440W 750W
> 875W
> FA1201 300W 475W 680W 1000W
> 1050W
> FA2401 350W 600W 770W 1200W
> 1250

sorry posted this on my blackberry didnt see you had found it allready.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
so are there any canadian dealers for the mach5's. Whats the next step in cabinet design? would the downfireing design still be suitable for music, i noticed that he talked about losing a 13hz range due to his cutoff settings.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts