Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys:

I started off with a simple enough inquiry in the manufactured speaker section: http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...0-subwoofer-recommendation-lava-polk-bic.html

I'm now considering going DIY. I have limited room for just one sub. It appears that I will need a 15" or 18"

It must fit in a cabinet that is no larger 31" wide x 18" deep x 24.5" tall. I'll isolate it, ventilate it, put fabric in the doors, etc......

Can someone please recommend a budget driver and amp combo that I can start with? I need to eliminate some of the variables here, and then design a cabinet to move ahead!

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, this is primarily for HT, although it will also be 25% music as well. It's in a large basement room, that has multiple purposes (living room, that leads into a pool table room and kitchen / bar)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$400, give or take. I would love to do it for $29.95 out the door :D , but can go to $500 if I need.

Also, I'm aware of my limitations because of the space. They are severe. I'm looking for a nice sounding, but not earth shattering, sub. I don't need 110dB at 6Hz or anything wild like that.

I really have two options: (1) go buy a budget 12" or 15" sub, or (2) build one that is the best I can work with inside of the limitations.

I have not focused on the idea of a DIY servo sub, are there good options?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Looks like you will have a net volume somewhere in the area of 5.5-6ft3. You just missed out on my Tempest 15" and plate amp, which would have worked well in a box that size.

I would look at the SI 15" for about $145.....however, it is not shipping as of yet. The Sundown SA 15" would work but at a higher cost ($234). Check out the classified section and you might find a good deal on a used quality driver and amp.

A nice 15" driver and a plate amp would be nice in a slot ported cab.

·
Registered
762 Posts
If you have a bit of extra scratch two of the SI 15's in 6cubes would do well. Atleast as far as a modeling I stumbled upon. I believe 1 si15 in 3 cf has a q of .66 if I'm not mistaken. So two of them in 6cf total will probably be slightly higher

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mike, thanks. What about the SI 15 or 18 in a sealed box. The whole thing would fit better in the cabinet in about a 4 cubit foot box... (the subwoofer cabinet needs to actually fit inside the entertainment center cabinet...)

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Another option might be a sealed TC Sounds Epic 12. You could certainly fit it in a tight space and get excellent low end still. This is a good choice if the wife is really not wanting it that big.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the help. I truly appreciate it. I'm going to pull the trigger on a driver today (a stereo integrity driver). One last question for now, please. Do I order the 2 or 4 ohm version?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts